Replaced EGR Valve and now getting P0191 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced EGR Valve and now getting P0191

robby830

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016, Explorer Sport 4x4
Hi Everyone-
I have an 08 Explorer 4.0 176K miles. Some back story first that might be helpful. Originally I was getting codes P0401, P0451, P0642. The only real issues I noticed was that it would rev really high on cold start ups and then drop back to normal after a few seconds. Not a big deal, so I dealt with it for over a year. Finally I took in to Ford last week to check them out as well as some transmission issues I'm starting to have (won't get into that now, but i'm thinking it's the servos- dealer said it's dropping 3rd & 4th and I need to replace tranny). They said most likely that the EGR valve needed to be replaced. If not that, then it's probably the vapor canister. I could have guessed that myself based on the codes I got. I thought they would actually test the EGR or other components to find the actual issue and not throw parts at it.

Anyway, I replaced the EGR valve myself and cleaned the throttle body in the process. I unplugged the smaller plug from the throttle body that faces the front of the engine and forgot to disconnect the TPS plug before cleaning it (not sure if this is useful to you later on or not). I did disconnect the battery before I cleaned it, but not sure if I moved the plate at all before then.

After I plugged everything back in, I reset the PCM. When I started the car up the SERVICE RSC light came on and car was running really poor. It threw out codes P0122, P0222, P060B, P2104, P2110 as well as 2 that it already had P0451 and P0642. I found that the TPS wires were all touching. The insulation had fried. I'm guessing they msut have been brittle and moving it around finished them off. I taped each wire up and put it back together. Now, all those new codes are gone and no more RSC light, but I it's still running rough and new codes showed up P0191, P2196, P2198 and the 2 original codes P0451 and P0642 and black liquid/smoke coming out of the exhaust.

After some searching on the site and online it looks like it could be the fuel rail pressure sensor, fuel pump, spark plugs, TPS and/or fuel filter. Before I dive into replacing these, could the burned up wires have caused the P0191 to come on by messing up one of these parts? Or any suggestions on what to replace first? I just find it weird that one of those parts are now bad when they worked fine before. Any help would be appreciated.

I've had this truck since 48k miles and the only issues I've had to do is to the upper thermostat housing and the ignition starter switch. It's treated me well.

Thanks,
Robby

Decided to try and find the issue today. I started wiggling the wires from the pcm to the egr and intake with the engine on. Didn't feel any difference. Then I decided to unplug the EGR and it started running fine. I plugged it back in and it stayed the same. I restarted the car and it was rough again. Restarted another time and now everything is fine. Left if running for a while and restarted numerous more times with no issue. I'm still getting code P0642. I clear the code and it comes on jsut by putting the key in the on position. So either I have a wire issue somewhere or the PCM might be faulty? Any help on how to diagnose that would be helpful. Thanks!

Update on this. Turns out the egr valve I got from Advance Auto was faulty. It was causing all the issues. Now I'm back to just P0451 and P0642 aftering installing a used motorcraft egr valve. I'm still leaning towards a faulty PCM unless anyone has any suggestions or tests to run.

Back