After Seafoam in Throttle Body I hear the tapping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

After Seafoam in Throttle Body I hear the tapping

kturnerga

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ranger XLT 4.0 Ext cab
I sprayed Seafoam spray into the throttle body of my 4.0 OHV on the 96 Ranger. I revved the engine because I forgot there was a hole in the choke and had wedged the tube inside the TB. I powered it off, let the vehicle sit for 30 minutes then cranked it up. I heard the tapping. It sounded every bit like valve tapping. I know that bad lifters and rocker arms cause this to happen on the 4.0's but how could a Seafoam or engine revving make this happen?

Oh well to the mechanic I go I guess. I was headed there anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the lack of reply makes it evident I bent a pushrod or rocker arm. How much, roughly, would a shop charge to do the rockers and rods?

I think the lack of replies is from not being sure what has caused the noise to start. I'd change the oil before I change anything inside the engine. A far out in left field thought, the seafoam could have made it past the rings, mixed with the oil and loosened up something that has restricted flow to a lifter.

This^ - It's very possible that you just got a bit of the SeaFoam to drain down the cyl walls and thin your oil. Seafoam is VERY thin.

Procedure: Add in a half can of Seafoam to your oil to further break down gunk. Let idle for an hour with a rev here and there, drain your oil, pour through a Q of cheap oil while the drain plug is still out, change the oil using a Motorcraft filter and add some MMO and Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

Also, keep in mind that rocker noise is pretty endemic to Ford pushrod motors. Many live very long happy lives clattering away, haha. Ask me how I know.

This weekend it gets cleaned out and re-oiled. If it's a worn rocker or bad rod what will happen as time goes by?

The rockers wear and the extra play causes noise. Lifter issues are typically stuck or bent. Often get unstuck with the method I described but may require direct oiling.

I tried everything but with a variation; I went a few ounces over with the Seafoam in the crankcase after 45 minutes of it running with half of a can. I drained the oil and didn't refill with the MMO; I just did Lucas and 10W30 Havoline. It still tapped after five minutes of running. To the shop I go, I go.

Back