2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - Titan Fuel Tank Installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - Titan Fuel Tank Installation

A few weeks ago our 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 developed a diesel fuel leak at the tank. I used the opportunity of having the tank down to swap to a much larger capacity replacement tank. It's something I have wanted to do since we bought the truck. The stock tank held 33 gallons, the new Titan Tank has a 60 gallon capacity.

My application called for their 7030303 which fits the 2003 - 2012 Crew Cab, Long Bed. Titan has an installation video for my application which I found helpful.

This tank is designed to be a bolt in system. Just pull out the old tank and it's straps and install the new tank, with the stock fuel pump, skid plate, and new straps.

Of course like most of my "bolt in" projects this one wasn't. I had viewed Titan's video before ever starting the job, so as soon as I saw the top of my stock fuel tank I knew it wasn't what they had shown on the video. My stock tank used a large screw on cap to retain the fuel pump assembly. The Titan tank, and the stock Dodge tank shown in the video, used a fuel pump which was retained by a lock ring, not a screw on cap.

If that had been the only difference I would have been fine, however my stock fuel pump's diameter was about a 1/4" to large to fit into the new tank. It seemed so close, but there was no way for it to fit.

I found that my issue is very uncommon and it is due to my having a very early 2003 truck. Dodge made a mid year change to the fuel tank which left mine with some 2002 parts in the system. What I found I actually needed was a pump from a 2004 Ram with a 34 Gallon tank which is Precision Fuel Pumps # A31000. That pump dropped right in and the fuel level sender is accurate.

Since I wasn't sure where the leak which started this process had actually come from I decided to replace the nylon sections of fuel line along with the quick disconnect fittings. My guess is that the leak was at the quick disconnects.

Dorman makes replacement parts to patch up the system.

Dorman
800 - 057 5/16" fuel line with quick disconnect for Dodge and GM
800 - 058 3/8" fuel line with quick disconnect for Dodge and GM
800 - 191 5/16" Union
800 - 193 3/8" Union

The new tank brackets required a little bit of tweaking to make them work. I had to spread out the hook end of the front hanger a bit. Once hooked in place I used a 2x4 on a floor jack to straighten the bracket and to get the eye end of the bracket started around the stud. I should mention this job was all done on the ground with only the left side tires lifted off the ground, and jacks stands set. The rear bracket needed to have the hooked end flattened out a bit and then the bottom outside bend increased slightly to allow it to hook onto the frame.

The tank is so long that putting in the few gallons that were left in the stock tank was probably barely enough to wet the entire bottom of the tank so my friend took me to the gas station for 5 gallons of diesel. After putting that in the tank registered just above "E". I went from the house to the closest gas station and put in another 10 gallons which brought it up to about 1/4 full. From there I drove to the cheap fuel station where I pumped in another 45 gallons! LOL I don't plan on running it way down except on long hauls.

I would like to thank Titan Fuel Tanks tech team for helping me work through the fuel pump issue and a big thanks to my friend Fred for helping with the installation. It's definitely a two man job when done on the ground.

20170524_110741.jpg

This is the fuel pump which is too large for the tank

20170524_110555.jpg

This shows the type of attachment used on my early 2003 tank

20170524_110513.jpg

Comparison of length

20170524_110452.jpg

You will love this! My dad and I did this on his 2014 F250 and now he doesn't have to stop all the time to fill up the small tank. I think it was 26 ish gallons and he got the 50 gallon replacement. It was a bear to get in due to clearance. Took his to the dealer to get the stock gauge reset too. I would love to do it on my 2006 Chevy Duramax.

When driving the truck unloaded it get's just over 20mpg. That's 1200 miles on a tank:drunk:

600 or so while trailering will be very handy.

Stopping once a day for fuel instead of 2 or 3 times would make a long trip so much nicer.

Back