2004 Ford Explorer - Rear A/C not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ford Explorer - Rear A/C not working

miksnake

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer. The rear A/C hasn't been working for some time, and I've finally decided to look into trying to fix it.

First, the front A/C system works totally fine. No issues at all with the front. The rear A/C does not blow anything out. It doesn't blow out of the upper vents nor the lower vents. It doesn't blow at any of the 4 speed settings and doesn't blow in hot or cold.

The one thing it does do is make a clicking sound near the rear actuator when the air is on cold, but not on hot. From all the forums here that I've read, that sounds like one of the actuators has gone bad and I will need to replace it. I plan to follow the instructions detailed on this page here to get to the actuator (http://redassaggie00.blogspot.com/2007/11/my-first-technical-post.html).

But, from what I've read, usually a bad actuator would mean that we would get some air blowing out but we wouldn't be able to switch from cold to hot or vice versa. So, is it likely that there is another problem as well?

I thought maybe the resistor was bad, but since I'm not getting air blowing even on the highest setting, it doesn't sound like that is the problem.

I just got a multimeter to test the resistor but I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing that?

So, the other things that it could possible be would be the fuse, a bad blower or maybe a bad relay switch. I've searched and searched but haven't been able to find very specific directions (you know, that a noob could follow) on how to check/test these things--particularly for REAR a/c system specific problems.

The fuses under the dash are fine, but is there another fuse for the rear blower? If so, where can I find that?

Any suggestions, advice or links to explicit directions for testing (ideally with step-by-step or pictures) would be extremely helpful.

Thanks for listening and any words of wisdom you may have.

Cheers.

Mik

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do the controls for the rear hvac system light up?
Test for power at the blower motor. Need to remove the rear seat belt (2nd row seat belt where it mounts near the floor) then pull the rear quarter panel to get access to the blower. Up and off.

I have a 2003 Aviator, it had the same symtoms. It made the clicking sound. I replaced the actuator and all is well. Not that bad of a job, just had to take off some interior paneling. Make sure you get the correct one as there are two. Compare very closely.

Tom

For the rear fan to work you must have something other than OFF selected on the main vehicle system. That signals the Aux. A/C relay to energize to allow for rear fan operation.

Power for the fan comes from a 30 amp fuse in the battery junction box. Verify that is good first by visual.

Next you have to remove the left rear interior panel and there you will find the relay I described above, the blower motor, and an Aux Blower Motor Resistor Assy.

Check 1: Verify 12 VDC to ground on Rear AC Relay wire BN/OR (brown with orange stripe). This is your main feed from the fuse. Hot at all times.

Check 2: Verify 12 VDC to ground on Rear AC Relay wire YE/BK. This is hot with ignition on and a climate setting has been selected on Main HVAC panel.

Check 3: If 1 and 2 above are sat, then verify 12 VDC to ground on AC Relay wire PK/WH. This is the relay output to the fan. If this is the only thing dead then this relay is bad.

Check 4: Verify 12 VDC to ground on blower motor connector PK/WH.

Check 5: Verify 12 VDC to ground on blower motor connector OG/RD. If dead, then motor has an internal open.

Check 6: Verify 3 different voltages at the Resistor Assembly. Input OG/RD should be 12 VDC. Outputs OG/BK should be lower than 12, LB/OG should be even lower, and RD/OG should be the least. If no voltage is on the output then the Resistor Assy is bad. It does have an internal fuse.

Our next stops are at the fan speed selector switches (Front and Rear) but see if you can find the problem with what I have provided so far.

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer. The rear A/C hasn't been working for some time, and I've finally decided to look into trying to fix it.

First, the front A/C system works totally fine. No issues at all with the front. The rear A/C does not blow anything out. It doesn't blow out of the upper vents nor the lower vents. It doesn't blow at any of the 4 speed settings and doesn't blow in hot or cold.

The one thing it does do is make a clicking sound near the rear actuator when the air is on cold, but not on hot. From all the forums here that I've read, that sounds like one of the actuators has gone bad and I will need to replace it. I plan to follow the instructions detailed on this page here to get to the actuator (http://redassaggie00.blogspot.com/2007/11/my-first-technical-post.html).

But, from what I've read, usually a bad actuator would mean that we would get some air blowing out but we wouldn't be able to switch from cold to hot or vice versa. So, is it likely that there is another problem as well?

I thought maybe the resistor was bad, but since I'm not getting air blowing even on the highest setting, it doesn't sound like that is the problem.

I just got a multimeter to test the resistor but I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing that?

So, the other things that it could possible be would be the fuse, a bad blower or maybe a bad relay switch. I've searched and searched but haven't been able to find very specific directions (you know, that a noob could follow) on how to check/test these things--particularly for REAR a/c system specific problems.

The fuses under the dash are fine, but is there another fuse for the rear blower? If so, where can I find that?

Any suggestions, advice or links to explicit directions for testing (ideally with step-by-step or pictures) would be extremely helpful.

Thanks for listening and any words of wisdom you may have.

Cheers.

Mik
What did you do to fix it?

Back