Subwoofer Enclosure Question?

ShiverMeTimbers

Reaction score
City, State
Chatham, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
So guys and girls,

For some background, I have a 2004 Explorer XLT, and I want to keep the third row and what little trunk space I have open, so I am thinking of either buying or building a stealthbox.

For buying:
I've been looking around the forums for a bit, and have seen varying reports on the JL audio StealthBox. The one JL sells shows that it goes on the driver side against the rear panel, but in the picture, their rear panel looks nothing like mine, and I see no place that the box would fit. If anyone has any advice on this, or any suggestions on a different box to buy let me know! Even if they know someone who makes them, I live in NJ so I'm sure someone does.

For Building:
I'm not afraid to build a box, and I feel this may be the way to go. For my explorer on the passenger side in the rear trim there is a storage space with a small net in front of it that I think would be a great place to put a sub box, I removed the trim and theres a good amount of space back there for a sub, but it would most likely have to be fiber glass, if anyone has any tips or suggestions also let me know.

Sorry for the long first post, be gentle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much bass are you looking for? If you are just looking for some fill, the stealth box would probably suit your needs. It's imperative if not buying the driver with the box to get one specifally made for a small enclosure.

If you want considerable bass a false floor box might be the best option.

Do the third gens have the extra speaker cutouts in the doors? My latest plan is to get a high quality comment speaker, mount the tweeters in the sail panels, and also add 6 1/2" midbass speakers in door in small enclosures.

The problem with premade subwoofer enclosures is that they arent made to the specification of the sub you are using. You should always build the enclosure specifically for the sub you are using. No such thing as a one box fits all. haha. That being said, the stealthbox is a great option and saves you the hassle of building your own. Just find out what subwoofer it was designed for.

So guys and girls,

For some background, I have a 2004 Explorer XLT, and I want to keep the third row and what little trunk space I have open, so I am thinking of either buying or building a stealthbox.

For buying:
I've been looking around the forums for a bit, and have seen varying reports on the JL audio StealthBox. The one JL sells shows that it goes on the driver side against the rear panel, but in the picture, their rear panel looks nothing like mine, and I see no place that the box would fit. If anyone has any advice on this, or any suggestions on a different box to buy let me know! Even if they know someone who makes them, I live in NJ so I'm sure someone does.

For Building:
I'm not afraid to build a box, and I feel this may be the way to go. For my explorer on the passenger side in the rear trim there is a storage space with a small net in front of it that I think would be a great place to put a sub box, I removed the trim and theres a good amount of space back there for a sub, but it would most likely have to be fiber glass, if anyone has any tips or suggestions also let me know.

Sorry for the long first post
I don't know if this will help, but it gives you something to consider. We just got a Ford X 2017 and I bought the JL Slealth box that goes in the rear passenger side. I believe its about .4 cb/ft maybe less, comes with a JL 3v3-2 10" running off a JL 600monoblock. The problem I'm having is the sub is being choked, not enough air. My plan is to glass something large enough for one 12" sub to keep up with my Helix P-six DSP on 3 sets of Phoenix Gold RX series 6.5 components. Plus 2 shallow mount SSL 10" shallow-powered subs under the front seats. And one hefty 3000W Stinger battery. Never skimp on the power source.

Explorers have big alternators and batteries. No need to upgrade either, unless you are going much bigger than you can in a stealth box.

Explorers have big alternators and batteries. No need to upgrade either, unless you are going much bigger than you can in a stealth box.

a group 65 is a good size battery and most explorers came with a 130amp alt but that is not idle numbers and after you figure in what the truck uses the left over might only be 20amps at idle...... I agree there is not many reasons to upgrade the alt to a monster 200+ amp unit .... my 130amp does just fine with a good AGM and 2kw sound system

If you look around for my threads I built a behind the 3rd row single 12" box for my 2007.... actually 2 of them I think my pics are on the prototype and not revision #2 - DC audio level 3 12" AR cone upgrade on 1700rms of over powering goodness

here is my prototype youtube video I have changed alot since doing the second box

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back