Can a 2016 Explorer be lifted without damage? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can a 2016 Explorer be lifted without damage?

rn92

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I have a 2016 Explorer Sport and I have been having trouble getting my regular maintenance done without issues. There have been two services in a row which resulted in damage to the vehicle. On both occasions, the lift pads were placed under the front fender mounting bolts which resulted in bent metal and cracked paint. I was later told that this happens to every Explorer and should be accepted as "normal". I was also told that the proper lifting points along the pinch weld area cannot be used since the three inch opening is too small for the lifting pad.

Does anyone else have issues having their vehicle serviced without damage? It seems odd that Ford would build a vehicle that no one can lift properly in a shop setting. Any advice or experiences would be great to hear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum rn92.:wave:
Are you having your service done by Ford? I've had my 2017 serviced a few times without any issues. I've had wheels swapped (Winter/All Season) and oil change as well as having the OEM tires rebalanced. Not sure where the lift pads were placed.

Peter

Thank you! I am glad I found a place with the amount of information that is offered here.

Yes, the vehicle has been serviced since new by my local Ford dealer. At the very beginning all was well. However, that all changed during a tire rotation which I originally thought was a honest mistake but it proceeded to happen a second time after the damage was fixed. The part that doesn't sit well is the fact that I've been told by the dealer that it's normal for the metal near the front fender bolts to get crushed. They also stated they do not have a pad to fit the recommended lift point. I was then shown a few other Explorers in the shop that were all damaged in the same area.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am hoping that my situation is not the norm and that I can look forward to more relaxed service visits in the future.

that a lot of BS. tell them you you are sending some pictures to Ford customer service , If they don't have the right pads, they need to get them, period. You should stay away from that place.
Because they damage all Explorers, not yours only, don't make it right.
Call ford to complain

I agree that the lift points are not wide enough, but their lift should have interchangable lift pads (for a lack of better description).
I use a puck to help fit in the opening.

that a lot of BS. tell them you you are sending some pictures to Ford customer service , If they don't have the right pads, they need to get them, period. You should stay away from that place.
Because they damage all Explorers, not yours only, don't make it right.
Call ford to complain

Exactly. If they don't fit than they need to get the right set-up. It's not rocket science...

I agree that the lift points are not wide enough, but their lift should have interchangable lift pads (for a lack of better description).
I use a puck to help fit in the opening.

Exactly what I do as well. I keep a lot of them around strictly for the garage and using to lift without any damage.

If we can figure it out, why can't they? lol They just don't care is why, not their ride...

I have a lift in my shop and position the lift's rubber pads under the pinch weld, near the jack points. While it's true that a standard lift pad will not fit within the Explorer's jack point, the pinch weld is plenty sturdy to lift the Explorer safely and without damage.

You can see where my lift's pads are positioned in some of the photos in this online album:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/9964408@N07/8V2f45

I have a lift in my shop and position the lift's rubber pads under the pinch weld, near the jack points. While it's true that a standard lift pad will not fit within the Explorer's jack point, the pinch weld is plenty sturdy to lift the Explorer safely and without damage.

You can see where my lift's pads are positioned in some of the photos in this online album:

Great photos. They may come in handy as a reference for some future posts.:thumbsup:

Peter

Thank you for sharing the photos! I like the way you used the wood blocks to make the proper lift points work for you.

Thank you for sharing the photos! I like the way you used the wood blocks to make the proper lift points work for you. I also like the idea of using pucks to fit in the opening. I already purchased a set of 3 inch ZL1 Addons pinchweld adapters but I haven't been successful in getting the dealer to use them.

I think I figured out a way to share a couple of photos of the issues I have had. Please try to use the following link:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156052098@N06/549713
There is no way that you should have to supply anything to the dealer in order for them to properly lift your vehicle. If they don't have the proper equipment I suggest finding a new dealer. That is totally unacceptable. I sure hope that they repaired to damage the did to your Explorer. I hope you spoke to the manager about that.

Peter

There is no way that you should have to supply anything to the dealer in order for them to properly lift your vehicle. If they don't have the proper equipment I suggest finding a new dealer. That is totally unacceptable. I sure hope that they repaired to damage the did to your Explorer. I hope you spoke to the manager about that.

Peter

The first time it was damaged I had to bring the vehicle back to see the manager who took the vehicle back into the service department to have it fixed. They got the plastic trim back on and the metal underneath was mostly straightened. I then thought the situation was a mistake and when the vehicle was back in a month later for a oil change and tire rotation they gave the vehicle back to me with the exact same damage. That was the visit where they got frustated with me calling them out on it. I was also shown others vehicles with the same exact damage to them. Once I wouldn't sign the paperwork to accept my vehicle back they sent it to be fixed again. The repair is better than nothing but the metal will never look right again.

I am glad to see that this issue is not due to the vehicle but is related to those working on it. It's just frustrating trying to get regular maintenance completed now as I am worried everytime that it will be damaged during any service.

The first time it was damaged I had to bring the vehicle back to see the manager who took the vehicle back into the service department to have it fixed. They got the plastic trim back on and the metal underneath was mostly straightened. I then thought the situation was a mistake and when the vehicle was back in a month later for a oil change and tire rotation they gave the vehicle back to me with the exact same damage. That was the visit where they got frustated with me calling them out on it. I was also shown others vehicles with the same exact damage to them. Once I wouldn't sign the paperwork to accept my vehicle back they sent it to be fixed again. The repair is better than nothing but the metal will never look right again.

I am glad to see that this issue is not due to the vehicle but is related to those working on it. It's just frustrating trying to get regular maintenance completed now as I am worried everytime that it will be damaged during any service.
Don't you have another dealer in the area? I have a Ford dealer 2 miles from my place but chose to go to the one 20 miles away due to great service.

Don't you have another dealer in the area? I have a Ford dealer 2 miles from my place but chose to go to the one 20 miles away due to great service.

I do have another dealer in the area. I originally was trying to use the dealer I bought it from. I also was worried that even if I went elsewhere that I would have the same experience which seems unlikely based upon the feedback I am receiving from everyone here.

The last visit I had at the dealer went okay simply because the service manager changed the oil on a drive on lift. Then he used a floor jack underneath the suspension to rotate the tires. However, I am not sure if that is a safe alternative for the vehicle in the long run. This latest process for getting service is harder on me since I have to get into contact with the service manager who will then call me when he has a good time for the vehicle to be brought in. Please keep in mind I cannot always be free when his drive on lift is available. This also makes it hard to judge when I need to start calling the dealer as my very last oil change took well over a week to get them to setup a specific time with me. I was told not to just bring my vehicle in for an oil change like I used and that I should not just schedule a service through an advisor either.

At least the last visit did not lead to damage but the time and effort I had to put in to get a simple service completed was a hassle.

Thank you for sharing the photos! I like the way you used the wood blocks to make the proper lift points work for you. I also like the idea of using pucks to fit in the opening. I already purchased a set of 3 inch ZL1 Addons pinchweld adapters but I haven't been successful in getting the dealer to use them.

I think I figured out a way to share a couple of photos of the issues I have had. Please try to use the following link:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156052098@N06/549713

The damage done to your Explorer unacceptable and inexcusable, rn92. Can't believe your dealer justifies the mangled metal on your Explorer by showing you several other mangled Explorers. I've never seen such incompetence. Looks like they're just too lazy to look to make sure the lift pad is properly positioned under the jack point or the (substantial) pinch weld before raising the vehicle.

You bought your Explorer from an Authorized Ford Dealer staffed by Ford Factory Trained Technicians. I'd suggest sharing your photos with Ford Motor Company corporate customer service to show them the damage your dealer is doing to their customers' Explorers.

That damage is not "Normal".. there is a cutout in the pinch weld where the jack is supposed to go.. you will notice that it's not near the end of the weld and reduced in height to support the weight. if they have crumpled that forward portion then they are doing it wrong and should pay for any damage they caused.

Brought my EX yesterday evening in for a flat tire repair at Costco and even their techs were competent enough to lift on the pinch weld at the designated lift points (despite not fiting in the slot)!
Ford techs should be ashamed of themselves if they can't get this right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back