A Pull-A-Part Story

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
I recently purchased a 99 Limited after I had to retire my 94 XLT. Needed to put a trailer hitch on it so ordered one from etrailer.com. When I went to lower the spare tire to install the hitch I like to never got it down only to finally discover that the hook on winch rod was missing. I read here that they have a tendency to break off. Looked one up online to replace it and found them at ridiculous prices of $36-$60. I know they're never in the vehicle at Pull-A-Part since for some crazy reason they pull all jack related equipment out and place it in a special area.
Went in and low and behold a man was standing there with what I needed in his hand and the only one. I milled around and waited as he seemed unsure of what he was wanting. He finally separated the two pieces and put the one with the hook back on the shelf which I promptly grabbed. He went to the register had some words with the cashier then walked out without the other piece. I was next in line, told her the two were part of a set. She charged me $2.95 for the hole thing. Talk about timing, I don't know when my luck has run so high. So off I scampered with my new winch rods still not believing that guy put them back. How's that for being watched over by the Explorer God's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been that lucky a few times. Got heated leather seats for my jeep $50 each. They look brand new. Same yard sold me a 460 a few years ago that had just been rebuilt before the truck was scrapped. Less than 1k miles on the motor for $300 and got half that back when they took the old motor as a core.

Awesome deal!

I got lucky and found a brand new unsed jack! was a good day cause I needed a new one.

I usually have to hunt around to find the two pieces to lower the spare. I have even hunted around with no luck, and then went back to my Explorer to get mine, to drop a spare.

The junk yard is the place I go to really ponder life.
Honestly, it's such a vivid dose of reality. All these broken down Fords, one part short of the car crusher. It really is a perfect illustration of the inevitable.
I threaten my Explorer with the car crusher almost daily.
Having grown up in a junk yard, I almost pity the rich who ,most likely, never will see the serene riches of the place.
Good story, thanks for posting. ✋
I agree. Junkyards have always held a fascination for me and I've found many wonderful things there. I always feel that sense of sadness as well knowing the crusher is but a step away from any of those vehicles who are still struggling to keep others alive.

Back