A different approach to stuffing clutch packs in the A4LD, 4R, or 5R Trans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A different approach to stuffing clutch packs in the A4LD, 4R, or 5R Trans

AtariJeff001

Reaction score
City, State
Webster, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT 94 XLT 94 EB 96 EB
Based on Glacier991 and Brain's A4LD threads, I rebuilt and partially modified an A4LD in 2005. It lasted ten years, albeit loss of OD during the last 3 years. What I did that I haven't heard anyone else trying was, in order to fit an additional clutch in all of the clutch packs, I decided to use a "laminated" approach for the outer steel plate. In other words, I replaced the thick steel with three or four regular thin steels, to give the additional room for the extra discs. I believe I got 6 discs in the OD drum and 7 in the others. I was careful to get the gapping just right when I did it.

Was it a bad idea? I dunno, but that thing lasted ten years as my primary vehicle (from 140K to 304K) until I had to stop driving it due to rust so severe, the Explorer was turning itself into a "New England LowRider" (a term I coined myself), meaning the floors and mounts rot away so bad the frame starts coming up into the body. If you've never heard the sound of "frame slap" when going over bumps, boy are you in for a treat!

If any of you esteemed folks have any comments or crazy ideas, I'd love to hear them. I am eager to get to know the incredibly talented "Transmission Hackers" here on ExplorerForum. Thanks for reading!

Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the welcome, gents!
Ya, I really don't think the A4LD is able to withstand a lot of power. My only desire is to strengthen the trans any way possible. I feel this is the main weak point of 6cyl explorers and I wish it weren't so.

Seems the 4.0 will just chug along happily forever, that usually leaves it to rust or too many broken transmissions where many folks decide to give up on them.

@AtariJeff001 " If any of you esteemed folks have any comments or crazy ideas, I'd love to hear them."
Wellllll, since you asked.......

Ford Top-Loader mated to a heavy-duty Borg-Warner Overdrive unit, using adaptor I designed and made.
2nd. pic, another view.

img12210.jpg

img12310.jpg

The cable thingy locks out the free-wheel clutch to get reverse. These overdrives provided free-wheel in all forward gears except overdrive (4th.), except when overdrive was manually locked out. A trans like the Top-Loader easily shifted from 1st. to 2nd. and 2nd. to 3rd. without touching the clutch pedal! Just up off the gas pedal and shift, smooth as could be!

Below, a Top-Loader mated to a Harvester transfer case out of a '66 Scout. This combo was used to build the following depicted.
img12410.jpg

car_pr11.jpg

I admit to having built some rather far-out things! :hammer: :help:
imp

Very cool imp, 4WD way before the 800hp Hoonicorn;

It's a great idea to add extra frictions. The only issue when you do this is having the right height on the hub that the frictions lock onto. Most don't have the extra length of splines. As far as not using a pressure plate on a clutch pack I'm not a fan of that. In your application I really feel the extra frictions were not needed as your transmission would not be able to produce the clamping force for that to be beneficial. Just my opinion your results may very. If you were able to raise the pressure to have them clamp you would most definitely push those stacked steels through the snap ring. But always interested when someone try's something out of the normal. Glad it worked for you. Good job!

Back