MAS Tequila

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boca Raton FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
I made the above referenced move.

My AC compressor went south last week, so I ordered a new everything and started the tear down.

Well since this is the first time pulling the radiator out of this vehicle, I just went with what I knew from past vehicles and removed the 4 bolts from the water pump pulley fully expecting the fan clutch to pop off.

After a couple of WTF's followed by a really good Homer DOH!!! I was left trying to put those damn little bolts back in.

Has anyone ever TRYED to put those little torture devices back in with the fan clutch still attached?

Well you had better pray that you never do.

I would rather change out the upper control arm bolts any day, or install new plug wires routed correctly, and if you've done either of those you know what I'm saying.

Then just for S&G's add in the lifted truck part.

Anyone want to buy a low mileage 2000 5.0 4WD Mountaineer partially disassembled cheaply?

It's not really for sale, but that has got to be the bonehead move of the month.

At least while everything is out of the way I should be able to locate and fix the oil leak fairly easily.

I'm thinking it's the oil filter adapter gasket.

Sorry to read that, and if you do R&R the oil filter adapter, be ready to think the fan clutch bolts were easy. I did that with the everything in except the radiator hose. I was trying to install the oil cooler since I got the old one out, that cannot be done without removing the WP. I went back to the normal oil filter adapter, and that was no piece of cake. Getting a ratchet in there around the rack and lines etc, with just one hand and a finger or two of the other, is an interesting experience.

My leaks were many, the oil pressure sender was next to do, and now I still have some from the pan gasket, bolts all tight.

Good luck,

I got it back on the road yesterday, Sunday, with extremely cold AC.

I couldn't find the source of the front leak.

It almost looks like at one time, an oil filter may not have sealed properly and allowed a stream of oil to spray up.

There's no oil on anything but the lower radiator hose, which was replaced, and from there up towards the battery.

There are a couple of lines, which I believe to be transmission cooler lines, where the rubber meets the metal , the rubber part is oily but not the metal part.

The important part is that I got it back together and was able to pull 27" of vacuum for over 30 minutes then filled with r-134a.

And now I have very cold AC and NO noises from the front of the engine.

Well done, cold AC is nice.

Back