My explorer suddenly showed a low oil pressure sign and stalled | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My explorer suddenly showed a low oil pressure sign and stalled

Odume Bethrand

Reaction score
City, State
Abuja Nigeria
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Good day all,

I need a kind help on what is the issue with my Ford Explorer 2012 Model. On my way to work today, I first noticed that the car was at a time not accelerating and after about some minutes on getting to a traffic stop, I saw on the dash board " low oil pressure " and the engine stalled and the car could not move. The ignition turns on and all other systems including AC work. I was afraid the engine may knock, I called help to roll the car out of the road and had it towed back home as I had to catch a flight out of town.
The ford is just above 100km.
I will appreciate some guidance as I plan taking it to an auto shop next week as I return back to my base.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good day all,

I need a kind help on what is the issue with my Ford Explorer 2012 Model. On my way to work today, I first noticed that the car was at a time not accelerating and after about some minutes on getting to a traffic stop, I saw on the dash board " low oil pressure " and the engine stalled and the car could not move. The ignition turns on and all other systems including AC work. I was afraid the engine may knock, I called help to roll the car out of the road and had it towed back home as I had to catch a flight out of town.
I will appreciate some guidance as I plan taking it to an auto shop next week as I return back to my base.

Did you fix it?
What was it?

Good day all,

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The engine may have shut down due to the Fail Safe Cooling feature but you should have noticed a change in the way the engine ran before that. That would turn off the engine but still leave everything else powered.
Please complete your registration by adding the requested "trim level" (Base, XLT, etc.) so it shows in the margin. That can be useful info to have. Thank you.

Peter

Welcome to you also Edgar.:wave:

Peter

I
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The engine may have shut down due to the Fail Safe Cooling feature but you should have noticed a change in the way the engine ran before that. That would turn off the engine but still leave everything else powered.
Please complete your registration by adding the requested "trim level" (Base, XLT, etc.) so it shows in the margin. That can be useful info to have. Thank you.

Peter

Dear Peter,

The trim level is Limited Edition

Could not go back to registration page to edit.

Thanks and still expecting some help on what could have been the issue. I have done the diagnostics and it showed code: P0054 HO2S heater resistance.

I had something similar happen. Mine would not restart afterwards. Since mine was under warranty, roadside service towed it to the dealer. Turns out on mine a clip was missing on the fuel line and the connection blew loose. I thought it was weird that it turned up a low oil pressure warning, but the dealer explained the car thought the engine was running and when it died the oil pressure would drop.

Back