How many miles will an explorer go for? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles will an explorer go for?

We have a 2003 explorer with 218,000 on it, bad bearing in the rear diff at ~90K and I just replaced the timing components in April. Runs great.

Picked up a 2002 Mountaineer last year with 78k miles, a lot of deferred maintenance to catch up on, but it runs great as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 05 explorer cult 4 wheel drive has 210,000 miles and one one issue with sensor at around 120,000... I had to replace my serpentine belt a year ago but truck runs great... I have always use mobile one synthetic oil 5w-30....I still only get 15 mpg city and 19 mpg on highway but I don't use it on trips that much... the a/c is the only issue I have now... apparently only works on 4th speed... I have heard the surface on dial become corroded and need replaced

My 05 explorer cult 4 wheel drive has 210,000 miles and one one issue with sensor at around 120,000... I had to replace my serpentine belt a year ago but truck runs great... I have always use mobile one synthetic oil 5w-30....I still only get 15 mpg city and 19 mpg on highway but I don't use it on trips that much... the a/c is the only issue I have now... apparently only works on 4th speed... I have heard the surface on dial become corroded and need replaced
I actually have an air conditioning problem too. I tracked it down to the blend door actuator. It is a simple part and seems easy to get to and there are lots of videos on YouTube. I can't do it myself so I am fine and not suffering too much at all.

My 94 has 538000 on it. And I just now joined this site because I'm going to start a paint and second gen interior swap. Original engine plugs 3 times intake gaskets once valve cover gaskets twice. Over half a million miles 300000 of which was with 35 in mud terrains. Have I won?!? Or lost? Lol

We've all heard about the dreaded reliability reports concerning the Explorer. Transmission problems, electrical malfunctions, and even safety related problems have hurt the Explorers reputation in the National media. With that said, it's still the #1 selling SUV for 15 consecutive years which helps to explain some of those reports.

My wife and I have twins on the way (due in March) and I'm looking to purchase an SUV sometime this summer. I'm an outside salesman and I put 20K miles/year on my vehicles. Since my company pays for gas & mileage, I will keep the Explorer for the first 3 years of its life before passing it on to my wife. Finally, I get to my question. How many miles can we expect to get out of the Explorer before it becomes too costly to keep on the road? Say what you want about Japanese vehicles, but when you purchase a Honda or Toyota you know you're good for 200K worry free miles. Will we be able to get 200K miles out of a Ford engine? I'm prepared to put "some" money into it, and I would prefer to purchase an American vehicle, but I don't want something where the engine falls out after 100K miles.

I guess I'm looking for some Ford success stories. :)

I think it boils down to finding the right example of one. As there are a ton of Explorers out there, buying from the right type of person is important. I recently purchased an 04 Eddie Bauer with 136k on the clock but this thing was so well cared for it runs like something with half the miles. I do anticipate getting another 100k out of it with regular maintenance of course. Not really a high mileage success story however there are good ones out there, just gotta keep looking.

2002 xlt 4.0l

235,000 miles and counting. 4.0L and the engine has never been touched. Original everything but the alternator and battery,and belt.

Rear glass hinges have been replaced.

Typical wheel bearings and axle seals, all of them and within a week or two, I'm going through the rear differential COMPLETELY, from one side to the other. All the parts are on their way. Mine has howled for the past 100K miles. Diff Fluid changes have been done every 60K miles. Trans has been flushed once and had a pressure servo replaced. Other than that, it has been a perfect machine.
Hey, Dave: If you're still around, what average oil change interval and filters did you use? I'm using Motorcraft stock and recommended 5k intervals....

My mounty has 175k miles now. Was originally the family car, but took it over at ~100k when wife got something else.

Tie rods, upper ball joints, alternator, oil filter housing adaptor gasket, driver's lock actuator, windshield leak, wheel bearings, other small stuff, plus the usual (battery, plugs etc).

This vehicle is amazing. I'd like to take it to 300k+. Engine getting louder, so maybe timing guides next.
I've decided to replace / repair anything important that goes.

I will repair engine in place, but I won't pull it...my own quirk.

My mounty has 175k miles now. Was originally the family car, but took it over at ~100k when wife got something else.

Tie rods, upper ball joints, alternator, oil filter housing adaptor gasket, driver's lock actuator, windshield leak, wheel bearings, other small stuff, plus the usual (battery, plugs etc).

This vehicle is amazing. I'd like to take it to 300k+. Engine getting louder, so maybe timing guides next.
I've decided to replace / repair anything important that goes.

I will repair engine in place, but I won't pull it...my own quirk.
If your rear (right) running cassette goes, you need to remove either the engine or the trans to replace. and you definitely want to do the repair before it fails catastrophically.

I have just over 195,000 miles on my '03 XLT. I've only owned it since December 2015 and it had 167,500 miles on it then. Between March and July of this year alone, I put about 10,000 miles on it while my other ride was at the shop getting repainted. During that time it was not only my daily driver to work - which isn't that far - but it took a few road trips that racked up the mileage and just all my local running around. Since getting my other car back from the shop, I've been using that for driving to work and the Explorer is getting some rest.

And next weekend I'll be putting another ~600 miles on it on a road trip down to NC and back. It's my workhorse and hope I can get a good chunk of more mileage out of it. There may come the day to upgrade to something bigger but right now, I'm perfectly happy with how it is.

I'm willing to replace every part on my X as many times as needed, so in that sense the answer is infinite miles.

Currently at 162k

my 02 mounty is at 181k, viscous coupler is showing signs of needing replacement.. thinking of converting it to a non viscous coupler.
I was even surprised with my friends 03 mounty that has no preventive maintenance and still doing well at 188k (his maintenance is when it breaks down time to fix it)

my 02 mounty is at 181k, viscous coupler is showing signs of needing replacement.. thinking of converting it to a non viscous coupler.
I was even surprised with my friends 03 mounty that has no preventive maintenance and still doing well at 188k (his maintenance is when it breaks down time to fix it)

Just curious how to you tell/ what do you feel that says the viscous coupling is getting worn out?

Just curious how to you tell/ what do you feel that says the viscous coupling is getting worn out?
when you make a sharp turn it feels heavy and tires are making a noise, on a gravel road it will kick a lot. Backing out while turning also requires more gas (step on the pedal more) The ratio should be 40/60 but I feel it's close to 50/50 when doing turns

05 Limited 4.6L. Just hit 210K this weekend. Bad news is I now have a ticking in the front of the engine that is probably the timing chains/guides. When I fix this I will replace the power steering rack/pump that has been leaking for 50K miles. I'm looking to get another 200K out of this truck.

I had 99' Explorer that lasted till 233k miles. Maintenance is the key. But it was not slated to tow camper and I towed anyway. I added tranny cooler, brake controller and changed fluids earlier than scheduled. Thats how it lasted so long but had I not towed, it could go over 300k miles. I have better Explorer with tow package.

I am a firm believer that, unless you wind up with a lemon, all you need to do to make a vehicle from Ford last is get all the scheduled maintenance completed over the life of the vehicle. Mine isn't over 70k yet, so I don't quite fit in this post, but the only issues I have had are a CD player eject problem, replaced battery and front upper ball joints.

It literally drives like a brand new vehicle. I am planning to keep it for a very long time unless something unforeseen happens.

Woah, a 2005 Exp in 2017 with >70k miles? Nice!

We've all heard about the dreaded reliability reports concerning the Explorer. Transmission problems, electrical malfunctions, and even safety related problems have hurt the Explorers reputation in the National media. With that said, it's still the #1 selling SUV for 15 consecutive years which helps to explain some of those reports.

My wife and I have twins on the way (due in March) and I'm looking to purchase an SUV sometime this summer. I'm an outside salesman and I put 20K miles/year on my vehicles. Since my company pays for gas & mileage, I will keep the Explorer for the first 3 years of its life before passing it on to my wife. Finally, I get to my question. How many miles can we expect to get out of the Explorer before it becomes too costly to keep on the road? Say what you want about Japanese vehicles, but when you purchase a Honda or Toyota you know you're good for 200K worry free miles. Will we be able to get 200K miles out of a Ford engine? I'm prepared to put "some" money into it, and I would prefer to purchase an American vehicle, but I don't want something where the engine falls out after 100K miles.

I guess I'm looking for some Ford success stories. :)
I have 168K on my '02 XLS Explorer. I have had the truck for 2 years now. Crossing my fingers but at this point no major issues mostly maintenance. I did have the water pump replaced. I will need the rear struts replaced now because of a lot of noise when going over bumps.

My 2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L has 227,000 but it's time for it to go. I tried to keep it up after I retired it, but the constant maintenance is taking more time than I have. It's been a great truck, but it's hitting Craigslist next weekend.

This has been a fantastic forum and I have fixed MANY issues with the opinions and advice on this forum. I was an Elite Explorer for quite a few years and the cost was worth every penny.

Good luck to all you Explorer owners, and if I remember, I'll check in every once in a while, as I still remember what a PITA it was to replace those wheel bearing hubs.....

05 Limited 4.6L. Just hit 210K this weekend. Bad news is I now have a ticking in the front of the engine that is probably the timing chains/guides. When I fix this I will replace the power steering rack/pump that has been leaking for 50K miles. I'm looking to get another 200K out of this truck.
Lucas power steering stop leak took care of my power steering fluid leak. Worth its weight in gold!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm at 185,000 on a 2004 XLT with 4.6. It blew an engine at 150K but I attribute that to lack of oil changes by the previous owner.
second engine now has about 130K (we bought it used)
window motors, one alternator and one starter the only problems we've had in 60,000 hard miles.

Yes, the Japanese probably have a better record for delivering 200,000 miles without drama but do they make a body on frame truck with this much capacity?

Back