Completed Project - Great Pumpkin Solid Axle Swap 1993 Ford Explorer XL Rick Horwitz | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Great Pumpkin Solid Axle Swap 1993 Ford Explorer XL Rick Horwitz

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
My solid axle swap went through two phases of construction. The first utilized Trailmaster 4" coil springs and Rancho 9000 shocks. The setup was a 5 link, that is 4 links plus a panhard bar. The coil spring was allowed to fall way from it's upper mount and was kept in line by a piece of tubular steel which also served as a bump stop.

The axle is a Dana 44 High Pinion design from a '79 Bronco. The axle was shortened for this application. I do not have the measurements. All of the fabrication work was done by FST in Phoenix

Here are photos from Phase 1:
dana44_5.jpg

dana44_11.jpg

dana44_crossmem.jpg

dana44_15.jpg

dana44_21.jpg

pumpkin_springdroop.jpg

rickramp2.jpg

Main drawback to this design was the noise and sloppiness that occured when the coil spring fell away from the top mount. Everyone I wheeled with had to get used to the BANG when the coil popped back in place.

5.JPG

Most likely October for our Fall run. I was just thinking about that. I need to set dates.

Hell yea. Please make it over a weekend, and I'll bring out the Sarge

Hey rick, forgive me for not going all the way through the thread, but what are you running for a steering setup?

Back