• Register Today It's free!

2006 EXPLORER BRAKE BLEEDING

scubastevesx

Reaction score
City, State
WASHINGTON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 EXPLORER XLT 4.6
hello i have 2006 ford explorer v8 4x4 looking to bleed the brakes and replace fluid whats
the proper order to bleed . been doing research and can't find anything on my truck
thanks for any info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Start on passenger side for both front and rear, you should finish on front drivers side.
It should take about a quart of fluid. Don't pump the reservoir dry.

If you have an air compressor, pick up one of these bleeder kits. I bought one a few months ago and used to do a complete brake fluid flush/replacement on my wife's 2011 Explorer. It made the job very easy. I'm going to use it on my Sport Trac next weekend.

https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html

I got the wife on the pedal, started driver front and worked my way around. First I used a suction gun and sucked out the reservoir and replaced it with fresh. toss any extra you have in the garbage after.

so is pass front ,pass rear ,rear driver ,front driver i was going to use the manual vacume bleeder from harbor fright my compressor been acting up. i know it goes by the farthest from the master
so im confused as to start with the pass rear as normal.

You got it right, start at the rear passenger side end at front drivers side.
I replaced my brake hardware a few months ago front and back.
Used the hand pump to bleed the calipers then put my younger girl in the seat and bled the system through (I had more patience with her than I usually have when the Missus *helps*)

Yeah, rear passenger is the furthest point front drivers side. Working forward is the process but as said keep the master cylinder from running out of fluid or you have to start again and pump a lot more through the system to get known air out if you can.

cool thanks alot for all the replies

Get a six 6-pt bleed wrench if you don't have one and save some aggravation.

Back