Noises | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noises

jtre

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Finally with my truck back on the road and holding coolant/oil, i want to see if I can address a couple noises.

The first is a very high pitched tweeting (sort of sounds like a very annoying bird) that occurs when I hit a bump (of course I took it out to try it tonight, but it is quiet...maybe the rain tonight affected it)..thinking a bad ball joint or bushing....Should I use some silicone WD 40 on one part at a time (when the noise comes back) to determine which part is affected?

Second issue: since I have owned my truck, I have heard a whine on acceleration/deceleration that sounds sort of like a turbo: it increases pitch as I accelerate, and decreases pitch as i decelerate. I have heard it is possibly a pinion bearing in the front or rear end? (doing a diff/T-case service soon, hopefully that will get rid of the noise or at least extend the life of them). I also hear a low pitched growl when backing out of my driveway or slowly pulling into a parking spot) Anything else to suspect with that type of symptom?

I could be way off but my two guesses are the high pitched sound is an HVAC blower bearing wearing out, and the turbo sound is a steering pump low on fluid or with air in the system. Low pitched growl, an exhaust leak.

I expect that I'm wrong about one if not all but a high pitched sound tends to come from high frequency of oscillation, something moving fast not a ball joint or bushing. A whine that varies with RPM tends to be an internal engine part or something belt driven. Getting under the hood while a helper revs the engine might help. The growl, since it happens at low speed, maybe in park or maybe not, someone on the ground closer to potential noise sources.

the tweeting sound is independent of the HVAC. possible on the pump, but i have full fluid and no leaks that I know of, so I am not sure about how air would get in there. Is the silicone WD40 test valid for bushings? That would be a fairly easy way to eliminate a possibility

Anything you spray into bushings will quiet them, even a soapy solution (while it's still wet), so long as you spray enough to get it in where the noise (might) be.

Edit: I mean rubber bushings. Metal bushings aka bearings like you'd find in a motor should get light oil.

Back