Tech Tip: Fuel filter change 07up Sport Trac | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tech Tip: Fuel filter change 07up Sport Trac

Just replaced my filter

Thank you greatly for the explanation of how to change the filter. The green clip is quite self explanatory, but all I could think of was breaking the red clip and having to replace the fuel line. I looked at this and figured the red clip out. It's quite easy to open it but I'd bet it's easy to break it as well. I messed up and started my trac before I changed the filter. No problems though. Just had a little bit of gas trickle out.

I replaced it because the truck started shuttering at about 50mph and then idled rough at a stop light. I couldn't get it to do it again and had no CEL light on. So I replaced the filter, which looked like an original, it was a motor raft filter and my trac has 78000 on it now. I just bought it three weeks ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have read thru this entire thread and can NOT get the red clamp on my 07 ST fuel filter. I went ahead and disconnected the green one, hoping that this would give me some room to maneuver it but no such luck. I've checked out the diagrams for the manual on the first post and still can NOT get this. The red clamp is unlocked, but I can't get it disconnected from the old fuel filter and am afraid I'm going to break it! Does ANYONE have any advice or tricks they used to get the tricky red clamp without breaking it? I would greatly appreciate any help!

My Father called me today from Firestone while getting his usual tire rotation. They quoted him $130! $30 filter + $80 labor + *$20 special labor for removing shield. (the special charge wasn't on the quote last time they recommenced) What a joke. I reminded him I changed it 6 months ago. $12 Wix filter and 20 minuets.
...don't get me started on their *found high copper content!* in the brake fluid. I COMPLETELY flushed the system 6 months ago as well.
Anyway, thanks for the write-up:thumbsup:
They also recommended the fuel injector service. Which I agree with. BUT, he just got that service the last time he was in! Sheesh.

Great write up! Just changed mine myself for the first time and it was pretty easy and only took about an hour, next time I'll prob be able to knock it out much faster!

Do y'all recommend the motocraft filter or does it matter?

Thanks for the great writeup. I just got my sport trac and plan to do this soon!

Thanks @stylin99 for posting this and @Fredness for the additional pics!. I'll be changing mine tomorrow so fingers crossed that it goes smoothly. :)

Back