04 With user induced issues...seeks guidance.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 With user induced issues...seeks guidance....

SUAHB

Reaction score
City, State
Magna
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer Sport Trac
So, I'm a Ford guy, and got my hands on a 2004 Explorer Sport Trac. Put on some bells and whistles, including 2 separate sets of lights. I originally tapped into fuse #25(cluster and 4x4), which I am now severely regretting, as it has caused a parasitic drain I must hunt down.
Once the battery started to drain, (and before I knew I had caused an issue), I ran through the whole charging system, and replaced the starter in doing so. It was at this point I discovered the true issue, but all of the damage has already been done. The starter I originally put in was no good, grounded out, and caused the fuse #8 in the power distributor box to blow. I replaced the starter, again, and now it will start the poor truck, but the first crank is super hard...as in, it cranks, heavy pause, then starts up. Oh, this can't always be reproduced, as sometimes it starts up like on the showroom floor.

Last, there is currently showing P0301, misfire on cylinder 1. It isn't really noticable, except on startup, and during hard acceleration, where there seems a slight hesitation. I checked in the bay, and it might have been due to the ignition wire touching the other engine parts, so I took time to ensure they are all isolated.

I need help, please, (and I promise, moving forward, to always tap with an inline fuse, straight from the battery).

P.S. I also cleaned the MAF with the specialized cleaner from the local auto parts stores.

The two problems may be related.

For the starting problem, I would double check the battery and ground cables. Clean as necessary.

As for the misfire, that might be a by product of a poor battery connection. Explorer battery clamps are notoriously flimsy and break easily.

And lastly, if all else fails, check the alternator. A bad voltage regulator can play havok with the electrical system.

Thanks for the misfire advice, the cables were seated loosely by my helper (cousin). My fault for not checking on the work. That is fixed. Now I've cleared the codes, driven for a while, re-read OBD2 and gotten no new codes. The only 2 issues I have are the (a)heavy startup, and the (b) parasitic drain on Fuse #25. I have a starting point for the heavy start, so I think I need to focus on the drain. My guess is when I tapped into fuse #25, I caused a relay to stay open in something when I turned on the lights an whatever it was happened to also be engaged, thus causing a different draw on the circuit and making this error occur. My guess points to a relay, because no fuses are blowing, but the drain will kill the battery overnight if I don't pull #25 fuse when I park it. I just have no clue what to test on circuit #25.

Back