Help. Homeless and have limited tools | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help. Homeless and have limited tools

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma,wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 mazda b4000 4×4 4.0
I need to do the head gaskets and manifold gasket in my mazda b4000 but I'm recently homeless and don't have any torch tips to take out the head, what can i use??? I'm sitting in Wal-Mart parking lot found this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Basic hand tools will get the job done. Sockets and a breaker bar is what I have always used. A piece of pipe works good for leverage on the breaker bar for the really tight bolts. I replaced suspension bushings on my jeep in a home depot parking lot and what I learned from that is make sure there is an auto parts store near where you are working on the vehicle.

That is great if you have extra money to spend. I when out of my truck, and live in it right now. My ex got it all. I've spent the money for parts, but missed the 51 torch tip I need. And I've asked and can't get a damn soul to help me. Been here for three days not. I've got all those parts

That is great if you have extra money to spend. I when out of my truck, and live in it right now. My ex got it all. I've spent the money for parts, but missed the 51 torch tip I need. And I've asked and can't get a damn soul to help me. Been here for three days not. I've got all those parts
I do not understand the torch thing, I'd really like you to explain it to me. I've always been old school with just hand tools.

Can't get the head off to replace the head gasket... The bolts won't come out with a t50 all we have are hand tools.what can i use to get it off. I blew the gasket between the manifold and the head. Can I just replace all the gaskets above.the head looks good still. I need to be working to make money, so I'm going with my guy instinct on this one and look into the head later....I don't think it was the head gasket, my manifold was plugged big TIME sms cleaned out headers

Can I seal the sides of head,.I don't think it was the head. I think the valve cover gasket.and the manifold gaskets went....

Can't get the head off to replace the head gasket... The bolts won't come out with a t50 all we have are hand tools.what can i use to get it off.

Lefty loosey - righty tighty ;)

I've never heard of head bolts seizing up before. Exhaust manifold bolts yes, but not the head bolts.

BTW, the head bolts are torque to yield, and one time use. If you pull the heads you should replace the bolts.

What symptoms is the truck having? Leaking oil losing coolant? A T50 socket on a ratchet or breaker bar with a piece of pipe over the handle is what I used to pull the heads on my ranger.

I did all the to replacing. It's still pissing water. But out of the back of manifold wtf. Where do I get bolts at.

I did all the to replacing. It's still pissing water. But out of the back of manifold wtf. Where do I get bolts at.
Fastenal will most likely have what you are looking for.

Thanks, another thing. Is there a certain number sequence the wires lLgo back on for plugs

Thanks, another thing. Is there a certain number sequence the wires lLgo back on for plugs
4.0L coil pack.jpg

What kind of adhesive sealant did you use on the new gaskets?
I went and bought the 70.00 gasket set, and they said because i use the truck so hard that extra sealant would be okay so I got the black gasket sealant.
Thank you my mazda is pretty old, original stuff in it, the last before me rolled it. So now as my life crumbles,lol.so Ford my truck. But we're getting there. Thanks to toy guys TAlking me thru it.

Every time I try and start truck it turns over but won't fire then it clicks sms I lose power to my battery.the only way power comes back is if I take terminal off and put it back on, why is that..

Every time I try and start truck it turns over but won't fire then it clicks sms I lose power to my battery.the only way power comes back is if I take terminal off and put it back on, why is that..
I'm not sure why the power is doing that. There was a thread in the 91-94 explorer sub forum that I can't find, guy replaced head gaskets and had the same electrical issues. I wasn't following that thread so I don't know what the resolution was.

I'm not sure why the power is doing that. There was a thread in the 91-94 explorer sub forum that I can't find, guy replaced head gaskets and had the same electrical issues. I wasn't following that thread so I don't know what the resolution was.
I need some help, truck won't start what're so ever. I'm miles away from my safe zone to work on it and not get threatened to have me towed away. I need help to get to Morton I'm in Graham,wa

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need some help. Truck isn't going to go anywhere and I'm 40 miles from home. Can anyone help me I've got gas money if someone can tow me to Morton...or even close to it

Back