Braking bad!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Braking bad!!

likibow

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
ST Limited V8 2007
Hi guys, well here's the thing i have an 07 ST 4WD limited a couple of months from now I've been experiencing bad braking, I have to hit the brakes in a distance of 4 to 5 cars to get a full stop it feels like I'm hauling a big trailer when braking, changed my master cylinder raybestos brand, about a year ago and 2 months ago brake pads also raybestos brand, have anyone got the same experience or knows what could be the cause of this? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did a full brake fluid flush/bleed...really noticed the difference.

Other idea...did you turn the rotor when you swapped out the pads?
https://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/when-should-you-turn-brake-rotors

other possibilities:

Loss of power assist from the power brake booster is another cause of poor braking performance. It can occur due to a loss of engine vacuum, or deterioration of the vacuum brake booster diaphragm. Also check the brake booster check valve and tubing.

Are you losing fluid?

yes i forgot to mention that, I did turn the rotors, i just disconnected the check valve on the booster y that thing is holding a good vacuum, I did a fluid change with the scan tool everything went right on that one but no I'm not losing any fluid

I hate flushing ABS systems, but definitely agree with Tech. Ive flushed a few jeeps that required multiple flushes before the brakes felt good and stiff. What set up do you have for doing flushes? I use a modified reservoir cap that I hook up to my air compressor. Regulate the pressure down to 10-15 psi and then start at the back right caliper. Can flush one wheel per reservoir fill, but does the job real easy, one person like. I have read that using the vacuum method can draw too hard on the master's diaphragm and rupture the seal.

Back