Powerstop Z36 Extreme Truck and Tow Brake Kit with Performance Brake Calipers installed (PICS) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Powerstop Z36 Extreme Truck and Tow Brake Kit with Performance Brake Calipers installed (PICS)

MuscleJunkie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
Here are a couple pictures of the installed brake kit by Powerstop which includes their red powder-coated performance brake calipers.

Per the previous post, I'm hoping that these pad's and rotors last longer than the previous set. These along with Brake Calipers are a nice touch and look great behind the Saleen Speedline 1908 Magnesium Rims on Pirelli Rubber.

I went with the Powerstop Z36 Brake Kit for Big White until I find another more suitable "Big Brake" system to install. The Z36 kit was installed back in March and unfortunately the pads at all 4 corners had failed in less than 5,000 mostly normal highway miles. One of the rear rotors was found to be failed as well. I contacted Powerstop and they agreed to replace all the pads and rotor. We are not really clear why all the pads failed in such a short time but it was clear that they were not wearing well at all and the consensus is that perhaps this was a bad batch.

I was also concerned about a possible compatibility issue. On the Powerstop site only 2wd and 4wd are listed for the 2000 Ford Explorer. I called Powerstop before purchasing the Z36 kit and asked about compatibility with AWD and after some further checking on their part they came back that the AWD is compatible the same as 4wd. During the parts replacement they again have confirmed that there should be no compatibility issue with the AWD system.

To rule out any other possibilities for the premature pad failure it was decided to go ahead and install a set of the Powerstop Performance Brake Calipers while doing the failed parts switch out. The red powder coating looks great and matches that I have on the Saleen rear sway bar and lowering blocks. This should look really nice with the Saleen Speedline 1908 Magnesium wheels too.

Hopefully this time around there will be no further issues with this kit.

Thank you Powerstop for your help on resolving this issue.

More pics here:

https://www.facebook.com/BigWhiteExplorer/posts/819069731593977

20170722_174104.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well done Jim, those look great.

But it is a little too pretty, now let me take it and deliver mail with it for a week. LOL, mine looks bad without the mud slung along the right side, but I look forward to it being clean like yours eventually.

BTW, I plan to make my custom brakes for both my main trucks, the mail truck and this nicer one. I found a second pair of calipers recently, these with a 3.5" bolt circle. I know these will be more basic to build a bracket for to fit the spindle easily. I do have three pairs of hats, so I can sell the extra pair, or the first pair which was a modified Subaru application part. I had to have three pairs made custom, to get a decent price($350 a pair). At individual pairs it was almost $500, so three was $1050+S. I'm into the trans of my mail truck finally, hopefully in a month I can be driving it again.

Well done Jim, those look great.

But it is a little too pretty, now let me take it and deliver mail with it for a week. LOL, mine looks bad without the mud slung along the right side, but I look forward to it being clean like yours eventually.

BTW, I plan to make my custom brakes for both my main trucks, the mail truck and this nicer one. I found a second pair of calipers recently, these with a 3.5" bolt circle. I know these will be more basic to build a bracket for to fit the spindle easily. I do have three pairs of hats, so I can sell the extra pair, or the first pair which was a modified Subaru application part. I had to have three pairs made custom, to get a decent price($350 a pair). At individual pairs it was almost $500, so three was $1050+S. I'm into the trans of my mail truck finally, hopefully in a month I can be driving it again.

Thanks Don. I'll check with Big White about the "mail delivery" duty. HAHAHA!

As I mentioned in the post, these brakes are just a solution for now until I can decided on which Big Brakes route I want to go. I've heard so many things from Cobra Calipers to Corvette Rotors. It will be nice to get something that fills in the Speedline 1908's nicely with stopping power to match.

Anyway, I'm thinking Ford might have done something similar to this (going by my project's "What If" premise) if they didn't go all out with a custom designed system.

I'm sure you have seen the XP8 Alcon brake option mentioned here before. That was a recalled option because the brackets used were aluminum, and cracked on many XP8's. One member here found the calipers and details to order rotors, plus a steel bracket an XP8 member made from Europe. That member Eric here sold the brakes later, and the truck. I never liked that brake idea because the calipers run $800ish, the pads over $200, and the rotors were modified other application, at over $200 a set.

My big brakes due to the calipers($350ish each) and two piece rotors, plus $200+ pads, will be in the $teens I'm sure. But my rotors are easy to order from Coleman Racing(NASCAR rotors and parts), at $120-$200 apiece, but they will last for ages. Those Alcon brakes ate the rotors, I read in 20-30k miles often. I have 50k on my current rotors that are 1.25", a lower cost choice(features). My next deal will be full featured rotors, balanced, slotted, heat treated etc, and 1.375" thick. I chose 12.75" because they will fit within my 16" snow tires/wheels.

If what I do works well, another person could use the same bracket, on a 2001-03 Sport or Sport Trac spindle. That adds one inch to the caliper spacing, outward, for a 13.75" rotor. That should fit virtually all 17" wheels.

Here's the caliper, a Wilwood GN III, suitable for 180mph road racing;

WB120-3030-FS.jpg

No, you didn't get a bad batch MuscleJunkie, they are just chicom junk. I've heard the same thing on a other websites. I remember also @VR4 saying he had the same issue with them.

No, you didn't get a bad batch MuscleJunkie, they are just chicom junk. I've heard the same thing on a other websites. I remember also @VR4 saying he had the same issue with them.

I hope that is not true. Alot of reviews out there seemed positive. I can say so far that these parts that they sent are acting much differently than the 1st set right from the start so my hopes are high.

As far as the calipers, they are OEM castings that have been re-manufactured and powder-coated so I'm expecting to get good life out of them. I'll at some point rebuild my original OEM ones myself and have them power-coated so there is a spare set available.

It does seem that Powerstop is so far willing to stand by the product as they quickly sent out replacement parts.

I keep this updated if there are any issues.

Yup. Couldn't hold up to hard driving.

Granted I was driving the explorer like my mr2 I was being mindful of the brakes due to the weight of the truck. Lost nearly all stopping power but did not lose pedal pressure.

Currently have performance friction on sport trac parts up front and 11 ranger, 02 explorer calipers with centric police pads in the rear. So far so good but the centric pads squeal

Yup. Couldn't hold up to hard driving.

Granted I was driving the explorer like my mr2 I was being mindful of the brakes due to the weight of the truck. Lost nearly all stopping power but did not lose pedal pressure.

Currently have performance friction on sport trac parts up front and 11 ranger, 02 explorer calipers with centric police pads in the rear. So far so good but the centric pads squeal

Before this kit I ran Oreilly Brake Best pads in front and oem in the rear with OEM rotors and calipers. My short term goal is to best that with this solution. The pads this time around (the replacement set) seem to be acting much better than the 1st set. Once I try some hard driving, I'll report back. Also this time around I did the break in procedure as prescribed by the Powerstop insert myself (instead of depending on someone else's word it was done) so that might be why they are acting better?

That should help Jim, bedding in the pads properly/slowly makes a big difference in lifespan, and squealing.

I have good EBC pads on my mail truck, but the fronts I didn't have enough time to bed them in right. I got to drive the truck for one day in my normal driving, but the next day after about 20 minutes on my route they were fully hot. I babied them for the first little while, but it wasn't really enough. Now I have a slight squeal when they are really hot, and it's hard to change brake pressure(foot force) to alleviate that.

I hope they do work out for you this time around MuscleJunkie and that the issue people have had were just flukes.

BTW, your rig is lookin' sharp! :thumbsup:

I hope they do work out for you this time around MuscleJunkie and that the issue people have had were just flukes.

BTW, your rig is lookin' sharp! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the compliment. Don - thank you too!

I installed these front pads also. Higher friction than most. They say there's a good warranty, let's see how long they last.
I'm pleased with their performance ( stopping power and no squealing). Hopefully they last for a little while....

Back