P0406 ERG code cause?

persalls

Reaction score
City, State
Vellinge, Sweden;Europe
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac xlt
Hi guys!

In the pursuit of correcting errors on my new(old) truck I found out that PO has deleted the check-engine bulb and I have a P0406 error in the car. Yesterday I removed the EGR-valve and cleaned it out, wasn´t all that dirty, and since I do not own a vacuum-tester I mechanically moved the valve stem and blocked the vacuum-line input to see if the diaphragm would hold the valve in place, and it did. I think that this is an accurate test but maybe not? I went on to check the next device which would be the solenoid and it has 12+v to it, it has vacuum in the lines but Im not sure how it should behave if i put 12v directly to it´s terminals?? I removed the solenoid and sprayed some solvent, electrical cleaner, in it and compressed air though it´s inlets and it looks to be ok but I´m unsure about how to check it´s electrical behavior? I have checked for vacuum-leaks all-over and found the 90 elbow behind the alternator to be broken. Changed it and fixed all other lines that I can find and probably should make a complete system reset for learning curves to be correct, as fuel-trim and stuff, but the 406 need to disappear in order to pass the Swedish yearly check-up. This is also why I posted the question in a separate thread regarding what bulbs to buy before dismantling the instrument-cluster.
Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

//Brg, Per

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A bad DPFE sensor?

There are also YouTube and checking and cleaning the DPFE.

Thanks, that is a very possible cause! to bad we don´t have any "Auto-store" in Sweden... everything has to be ordered :-(

Thanks guys! I followed the procedure in the thread and I can´t get any, or close to none, reading on my meter. I can see it fluctuate if I blow in it but no way near any 5 volts and it has got the 5 volt feed so I guess it´s the culprit.

//Brg, Per

Let us know if replacing the DPFE solves the problem.

will do, need to find one over here or else order one from the US so it will probably take a while.

just a thought, do you guys think it would be possible to use a DPFE from an older Explorer as long as the electrical connection would fit? I have found one at the local breakers but it is from an -98 Explorer so it´s of course not correct but will it do the trick you think?

just a thought, do you guys think it would be possible to use a DPFE from an older Explorer as long as the electrical connection would fit? I have found one at the local breakers but it is from an -98 Explorer so it´s of course not correct but will it do the trick you think?

RockAuto's on-line parts catalog shows different DPFE part numbers for the '98 and 2003, so I'd say no.

it differs in external design so it will not be the same partnumber but Im not convinced that the internals will differ. I do believe its a relatively simple device but I guess its bound to fail over time so if used it must be close to "free" so more for testing than final replacement where my thoughts.

If you can get for next to nothing I guess there's no harm in trying it, but it doesn't work does it mean it's somehow different, or that it's not the problem? I guess it's worth a try if the electrical connection is the same.

So guys! Receivied a brand new Motorcraft DPFE (4) yesterday and have been driving city and highway, slow and "fast" plus a lot of start & stop. So far everything seems just fine and the old DPFE seems to have been the culprit. CEL stays off so fingers crossed.

//Brg Per

Back