No Reverse 4th or 5th, 3rd slow to engage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Reverse 4th or 5th, 3rd slow to engage

tripdagoat

Reaction score
City, State
Conway AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ranger Edge 4.0L
Have 2002 Ranger Edge 4x4. Recently installed a shift kit in valve body and lost 5th gear, so I replaced the valve body. I assumed I lost 5th due to damage to the bores when installing shift kit. Replacement valve body is from an older ford, but has worked well for the past 4 months. Today, after trying to pass a vehicle, things went crazy. Lost 4th and 5th. 3rd engages, but very weak. First time tried reverse, it moved but had quite a shudder, and now nothing. manual 1st and 2nd works fine. Trans is throwing code P0734 from a pocket code reader. My first thought is the older valve body does not have the updated pressure relief, and when I passed the other vehicle, the pressure blew out the gaskets. If I pull this VB i will definitely go back with a bonded plate regardless. Problem is, the symptoms i'm having don't sound exactly like a blown gasket. BTW, I do have engine braking in 1st. Any ideas of what else could be the problem. Fluids are clean and full, not burnt. No leaking anywhere.

A very common failure on that transmission is a broken input sprag, it can happen at anytime but a forced downshift can cause a already worn sprag over the edge and fail.

When this happens you will lose reverse, and drive, manual low and turning OD off with a cancel button will allow a forward engagement.

I misspoke, in drive, I get 1st, 2nd, and a slow 3rd. manual 1st and 2nd also work.

Back