1999 Explorer 5.0L - Wheel sounds and also like they are locking up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer 5.0L - Wheel sounds and also like they are locking up

NinjaGuy46

Reaction score
City, State
Geneseo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 5.0L
I have the above Explorer and have been having some issues recently. I had to replace the passenger front wheel hub/bearing and ever since it's been making noises.
It is only when turning when you first start up for the day. After driving it won't make the same sounds, even when making the same kinds of turns. Sounds like a thrumming at intervals when going forwards or in reverse with even a little turn of the steering in either direction.
Just started to notice that when driving at low speeds, it sounds like the wheels are locking up as the tires are screeching like the brakes are slammed on while moving (brakes not touched).
Did some looking and it I've seen everything from the transfer case to the axles being a problem.
Any thoughts for where I can start to diagnose this issue?
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you didn't experience these symptoms before you replaced the hub bearing, I'd be focusing my attention on a possible problem with any components you touched while doing the work...at least initially. Did you get everything put back together correctly? Did you turn the wheel assembly with engine off when disassembling to gain better access to the hub bearing bolts? If so, you might have introduced air into the power steering system and it's causing issues; although most people complain of a shudder in the steering wheel. Try doing some figure eights in a parking lot while turning the steering wheel lock to lock to purge the air.

I thought about that initially but I only pulled the wheel, caliper, rotor and hub, and then installed them in the reverse order. Wheels weren't ever turned and ABS components were new and included with the hub assembly.
I definitely didn't have any of these symptoms before the wheel bearing started going, and even not then, just after it was replaced.

Jack it up and check whether it's rotating freely, evenly, and if you didn't torque it to spec with a torque wrench, do that. Ultimately I would consider returning it for an exchange or refund. What brand was it?

did you get quality parts?I have seen cheap chinese hubs come with no grease where you would expect some.

Well, I've gone through everything mentioned above and no change.
Everything is torqued correctly.
Caliper bracket was not loose, everything in the wheel was tight.
Parts were OEM from in the US (somewhere - have to find paperwork).

My main issues are with the sound and the wheels "locking up".

The sound only happens when driving the car "cold" and goes away after 1/2 mile of driving. I can make a turn when first driving and make the exact same turn or a sharper turn 10 minutes later and no sound.

As for the wheels, it only seems to happen at speeds below 40 (as far as I can tell). Could this be a 4-wheel drive issue? I've seen some posts where people talk about a 4WD light or switch but I don't have that. As far as I can tell, it's always on: no locking hubs, no levers, no buttons.

Still looking for help.
:(

You can remove the front drive shaft and drive for a short period to see if the noise goes away.
There is a cv joint which attached the front shaft to the transfer case which is a known issue. It makes kind of a pop right under the driver when going from reverse to drive and making a turn regularly. see if backing out of a driveway then starting forward makes your noise. Then, remove the front shaft and do the same maneuver.
Beware, the front drive shaft is part of the park lock mechanism, so, the truck may roll on it's own with the front drive shaft removed. Be sure to chock the tires when parking, and drive as little as possible before re installing it.

Did you torque the axle nut to the 212 ft lbs or whatever it calls for? If it's loose the wheel bearing could let the rotor go sideways in the caliper and bind.

since you have a 5L and an AWD tcase it sounds like that could be your problem. also if you pull your front drive shaft you might experience the truck drifting in park which some members have reported

Anyone have any ideas about the sound/feeling when turning when first driving?

If you pull the front shaft it WILL creep in park unless perfectly level.

Anyone have any ideas about the sound/feeling when turning when first driving?

Of the suggestions given, what have you done or found?

I have pulled both wheels. I have verified that everything is torqued correctly and nothing is loose. There is no play in tie rods or axles. I haven't pulled the drive shaft mainly because I don't think the turning noise is related, although the "locking" of the wheels while driving could be.
Is there a simple fix for the transfer case issue, if that's it?

Back