Ford Explorer V6 XLT RPM Fluctuations/Vibration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer V6 XLT RPM Fluctuations/Vibration

Jeffery7795

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 4.0L V6
A couple of weeks ago my Explorer was having issues accelerating and with it wanting to kill(at idle mostly), so I replaced the fuel filter and it worked perfectly until now. Now, after 10-20 minutes of driving it sometimes has RPM fluctuations, the engine sputters/vibrates and sometimes kills (at idle), but it doesn't always happen. I called a friend and he said it's probably the fuel pump. I checked the vacuum hoses and those seemed fine, so I don't think it's that. Does anyone here know what it could be?

Maybe dirty/clogged IAC? (Idle Air Control). Assuming your '04 uses one (my '02 does). Not too hard to take off and clean with carb cleaner or kerosene. Mind the gasket; replace if its bad (avoid unmetered air).

Lots of other possibilities, unfortunately. Might want to look into cleaning your MAF (mass air flow sensor), which is easy to do with a special can of CRC MAF cleaner. I'd clean the throttle body/plate (assuming, again, you are not drive-by-wire?). Use Seafoam or other gentle throttle body cleaner for that one; check online videos (youtube). Good luck.

Maybe dirty/clogged IAC? (Idle Air Control). Assuming your '04 uses one (my '02 does). Not too hard to take off and clean with carb cleaner or kerosene. Mind the gasket; replace if its bad (avoid unmetered air).

Lots of other possibilities, unfortunately. Might want to look into cleaning your MAF (mass air flow sensor), which is easy to do with a special can of CRC MAF cleaner. I'd clean the throttle body/plate (assuming, again, you are not drive-by-wire?). Use Seafoam or other gentle throttle body cleaner for that one; check online videos (youtube). Good luck.

Actually, I tightened the battery connector after searching through a few threads and it hasn't done it at all since I made this post. Thanks though, I'll look at these if it starts happening again.

Back