AC Compressor Rattle at Idle

Silversn95

Reaction score
City, State
Belle River, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLT 4.0L 4X4
Anyone have this problem on their EX?
My AC compressor has been noisy all summer. I only notice it at idle and it is only noisy when the compressor kicks on. It could be making the noise at road speed but ambient noises might be drowning it out. The AC works great for now at least. Is this just an issue with the front end pulley/clutch assembly? Are these parts replaceable instead of the whole compressor assembly?
If this can be fixed on the cheap I'm all for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the rattle at idle also. Except mine will do it with the AC off or on. The noise cycles off and on.
Do not want to mess with it while the AC is working good.

So I took a closer look yesterday and believe the rattle is actually the belt tensioner. It bounces around a little but once the AC kicks on, it really goes for a ride and the rattle starts. I'm going to change the tensioner and see if that solves it.

So I took a closer look yesterday and believe the rattle is actually the belt tensioner. It bounces around a little but once the AC kicks on, it really goes for a ride and the rattle starts. I'm going to change the tensioner and see if that solves it.
Let me know how you make out. I have a similar situation going on. Rattles at idle with the ac on. Doesn't make a peep with the ac off. Compressor was replaced last summer so I doubt that's it. The clutch went and I had to get the whole compressor, couldn't get just the clutch. I was thinking tensioner as well. What year is your ex?

I changed my belt, tensioner, idler pully. Still makes the rattle.

Let me know how you make out. I have a similar situation going on. Rattles at idle with the ac on. Doesn't make a peep with the ac off. Compressor was replaced last summer so I doubt that's it. The clutch went and I had to get the whole compressor, couldn't get just the clutch. I was thinking tensioner as well. What year is your ex?

It is an '06. Going to replace it on the weekend and see what happens.

I changed the tensioner this morning and the rattle is gone. The hub of the tensioner on the old one is loose, can certainly see why it was making noise.
Easy to change but removed the top of the air cleaner and moved the recovery tank out of my way to get some also room.

I changed the tensioner this morning and the rattle is gone. The hub of the tensioner on the old one is loose, can certainly see why it was making noise.
Easy to change but removed the top of the air cleaner and moved the recovery tank out of my way to get some also room.
Changed mine yesterday. Also no more rattle

Same symptoms here. Rattling only when A/C is on. But also no rattling when transmission is in neutral position.

Same issue here, looks like my 07 rattle is coming form the AC compressor. Also, more noticeable I think when the truck is in gear.

I fear that maybe the noise is from the chain cassettes, it comes and goes, can't pinpoint it really.

Back