• Register Today It's free!

Looking at a 2000 Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Marion, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
Hey all;
New to the forum but I was hoping for some advice. I am looking at a 2000 Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC 4X4. It has 147,000 miles and is in excellent condition. I have only ever been around the other 4.0 and don't know much about the longevity of the SOHC motors. The price is $2300, and it will only be a hunting/bad weather vehicle. Should I avoid it because of the SOHC or will it be fine as a second vehicle? I am pretty mechanical, so some work is fine. Thoughts? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The SOHC V6 was the worst engine offered in the Gen II Explorers. This is due to the bad design of the timing chain components and the expense related to replacing the components when they break (and that's "when" and not "if").

My advise is to not buy a SOHC at any price. I would look for a V8 AWD Explorer or Mountaineer if I needed 4WD/AWD (it sounds like you do).

You should be able to find a decent AWD V8 for around the same money as your thinking of spending on the SOHC. It will probably have more miles on it, but the V8 is easily good for 300,000 miles or more. In addition, the V8 transmission is more robust than the V6 transmission. The SOHC engines can begin having timing chain problems at under 100,000 miles. Fuel economy between the V6 and V8 is about the same. Other than the engines and transmissions (and radiators) the V6 and V8 models use many of the same components.

The main thing to check on the AWD models is that the front driveshaft hasn't been removed. If it has it's usually a sign of bigger problems.

Hey, thanks for your response. I've heard that about the SOHC, but I've also heard some real bad things about the AWD models. My mom has a 1998 4.0L with 173,000. The tranny went **** up at about 164,000. But it isn't the SOHC model. A friend of mine had a AWD Mountaineer that was a total turd. I guess it depends on how they are cared for.

Hey, thanks for your response. I've heard that about the SOHC, but I've also heard some real bad things about the AWD models. My mom has a 1998 4.0L with 173,000. The tranny went **** up at about 164,000. But it isn't the SOHC model. A friend of mine had a AWD Mountaineer that was a total turd. I guess it depends on how they are cared for.

The biggest thing with AWD's is keeping the tires all the same diameter to keep from ruining the viscous coupling in the t-case.

How does AWD handle off road situations? Some of the places I hunt can get pretty hairy when it's wet. I've had other 4X4 Explorers that handled that pretty well, but I am a total newbie to an AWD Explorer.

How does AWD handle off road situations? Some of the places I hunt can get pretty hairy when it's wet. I've had other 4X4 Explorers that handled that pretty well, but I am a total newbie to an AWD Explorer.

I never had our's off road, but from what I understand the AWD works fairly well, or you could install a 4X4 t-case from an F150 and have a real V8 4X4.

Never thought of that. All the ones for sale near me have 200,000 or more miles on them (5.0 AWD models that is). That just kind of scares me.

Never thought of that. All the ones for sale near me have 200,000 or more miles on them (5.0 AWD models that is). That just kind of scares me.

We had four 5.0 Explorers/Mountaineers until recently. All of them had around 180k on them when I bought them 6 years ago. I recently sold 2 of them and they were still going strong. My personal 2001 EB 5.0 has around 200k on it today and should make 300k-350k no problem with proper maintenance. Don't get me wrong, I do nearly 100% of my own maintenance and lots of PM to keep them running and on the road, but they haven't needed much, mostly just the normal wear item stuff.

I am inquiring about one with 135,000 for $2500. It's the off road capabilities that worry me most.

If they handle like a 4X4, can take some aggressive tires, I'm good with it. Those are my main concerns.

If they handle like a 4X4, can take some aggressive tires, I'm good with it. Those are my main concerns.

I suggest you ask some of the off-road guys.

I'll be honest, I've always been told from family members who were 4X4 guys, that the AWD of Explorers (and others) were pavement pounders. They aren't capable of handling any off roading, even little stuff. For me, that's part of why I joined this forum. I know there has to be some people who have tried off roading an AWD Explorer at some point. I won't be rock crawling or anything extreme, but it would see some mud, and if it were to rain enough, sometimes it can get pretty goopy.

I'll be honest, I've always been told from family members who were 4X4 guys, that the AWD of Explorers (and others) were pavement pounders. They aren't capable of handling any off roading, even little stuff. For me, that's part of why I joined this forum. I know there has to be some people who have tried off roading an AWD Explorer at some point. I won't be rock crawling or anything extreme, but it would see some mud, and if it were to rain enough, sometimes it can get pretty goopy.

Hey all;
Got a very quick response for my SOHC question, thanks for that. I'm looking for one more question to get help with. How many of you have the 5.0 AWD Explorers and use them off road? I don't mean crazy stuff, just some light wheeling, mud mostly. No deep mud, just like dirt roads that get a little soupy from rain. I've always heard that these were mostly pavement warriors, not really capable of off roading at all. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but I am looking for another Explorer and have only ever had 4X4 ones. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

I have found one that has 135,000 miles for $2500. If somebody can advise on its mud handling ability, it would be much appreciated. Anybody???

I went down to the beach once with a v8 awd mountaineer (explorer) and it did surprising well never got stuck and was tearing it up.selectable 4wd is better for off road but awd is certainly better than 2wd and i put a 2wd explorer's on mud terrains through hell and back lol for light stuff you'll be fine with awd.

Plus you could swap transfer cases pretty easily (4406 swap I believe) if you want later on (much easier than 4wd guys wanting to go v8) I'd pull the trigger on it at $2500 and that's fairly low mileage I paid $2500 for a 4.0 97 2wd no bells and whistles with 155k Miles ....that was over 10 years ago though and it was at trade in cost (step dad was sales manager at a ford dealer)

Thanks for the reply, bigred. I know the tranny's are better in the 5.0 AWD models, but I don't want to go out hunting and get stuck because it's too wimpy to handle some mud. I'm not a rock climbing stump jumper, but I will see mud, and would want some aggressive tires and ability to get in and out without problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'd be surprised how much mud my old 2wd ex could handle once I put some 31" mud rovers on her . You'll be fine Iv seen what they can do.any shortcomings can be overcome with more speed lol My old 2wd taught me that,I actually probably have more fun in that truck then the 4wd I got now.:burnout:

Back