2009 High rpm and heat temp | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2009 High rpm and heat temp

Reaction score
City, State
Arden,NORTH CAROLINA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009, Explorer xlt
hello. I was wondering if someone can help me figure out what is going on. I am driving a 2009 Ford Explorer xlt with 130k on it. Recently when driving the rpm's would red line and the engine temperature gauge would shoot up and the light would come on as if it were overheating. When I pull over everything goes back to normal and it will drive fine. Until it happens again. I have asked several mechanics and plugged it up to a computer and no one can tell me what's wrong. Can someone please help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it redline even if you take your foot off the pedal?

Do you have to stop and shut it off before it returns to normal?

Which light is coming on?

What does the temp gauge say?

Does it do this at highway speed or just around town?

It does not red line if I come off the pedal, I don't have to shut it off, high temp light shows up, temp gauge reads all the way hot then drops back down, and it happens around town and on highways.

When the RPMs go up does it accelerate? If not, then it sounds like you're losing all the load on your engine which would make me suspect the torque converter or the transmission. As for the temperature going up - that's a weird one but I would suspect a weak cooling system with air in it and the RPM surge is ratcheting up the heat quickly.

Back