Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread | Page 53 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread

The new turd mobile. 2000 Mountaineer v8 awd.

The bad:

Was living it's prior life on a dusty road. Must tear out interior and deep clean.
Driver window off track "or something" and will not roll down. It tries but the rear part wants to stay up.

3 out of 4 door handles have issues. I have 4 new outer handles on order.
Cracked passenger side tail light housing. ( Ebay for some cool tail lights)

Compass-Thermometer thingy lit up and went out--idunno bout that yet

Door locks seem sticky, probably has to do with the handles.
It has a funky purple color trim with red metallic ( you'll have that every now and then) :(

The good
Gas tank was full
109k miles
I am the 2nd owner!!
Is from the local area, which means no salt!
The undercarriage is fairly clean
No dents to underside panels
Good rubber
Camber shims already installed
Looks like good service records, all recalls were completed.
Clean carfax believe it or not.

The "maybe" bad

The original owner, told the dealership it had a bad "heater core" however I have run it for several cycles, over an hour each idling in the driveay and see no leaks.
However, there was evidence of a windshield leak or the like,I saw condensation on the inside of the windows this AM. The moisture smell is that of water only-no anti freeze smell. I am thinking it could also be a cowl drain which is clogged???? but she did say the passenger carpet got wet.

I tried to get heat, however it is an auto climate control. Being 90 degrees outside, I doubt it would have given me heat.The heater core hoses were hot, and the coolant bypass valve does operate. AC blows Ice cold.

Maybe she meant to say "heater door"???

Anyway--here are the pics.

My intent is to drive this and use it as a tow rig for a light weight off road toy. Mods will be minimal. Edit: This plan did not work out so on to plan "b"

Current visual status

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

Progress pictures
025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

042.jpg

038.jpg

Now, let's clean it up a little

Herculine'rd rocker panels. Rock sliders installed

005-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

BW 4406 True 4x4 Manual transfer case ( AKA Mouse entry point) installed 8-27-2012
Installed newer Tcase from a 2003 11-14-15

003-7.jpg

Saw a rainbow in Colorado so yeah, time for a picture
119.jpg

And here she is, on top of the highest pass road in North America. Careful tire placement a must!!!
041-1.jpg

2-2-2013

Changed "color scheme" of the Dick Cepek DC1 wheels. New Falken Wildpeak AT 31x1050x15

005_zps519396ed.jpg

Then I decided Maroon washer on the wheels would look better

006_zps9145ce92.jpg

003_zpse4691714.jpg

Update 6-6-2013

New bumpers, winch and Pro LED light . Front Bumper from RLC, Skid plate from RCI, rear bumper from Kert307

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

002_zps7dd4e30f.jpg

Rear anti sway disconnects

004_zps1b757042.jpg

Update 9-2-2014
A cracked radiator at 70mph led to engine failure. Replaced with a freshened up a bit 80k mile engine starting on page 23

001_zps0a3e1791.jpg

Found another rainbow in Kansas.

008_zpsarhv1lwt.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I would definitely like to know how well it works out. If i was buying one now and had time to wait for it, I would pull that trigger for sure.

Thanks, excellent choice if it fits well. The plastic tanks I worry about for long term, they do eventually leak from vibrations.

The flush from Amsoil at $7.85+S&T isn't bad, I've never used it either.

Transmissions are not supposed to ever have any debris in them, any more than the filter can handle ends up in the VB and creates havoc. So I've never encountered a trans with fouled fluid without symptoms and tried to flush it or change fluid etc. If you see too much stuff in the fluid, it's more likely already accumulated too much in the VB. Any debris in a VB is what creates fast wear and miss-timed solenoids, thus symptoms that ruin things. So fluid changes are best regularly, and do something fast when a symptom appears. I've been fortunate so far, I almost always keep up with trans fluid and filters, and fend off issues with VB kits. My 91 Lincoln now didn't do well after a shift kit I put in last year, the shifts are still late, not slipping but much too late. I think I have something in the rear modulator block, it has passages and a centrifugal weight.bob, which controls shift timing. I can either take that off etc, or change the trans. I have a 4R planned so ...

Careful on the Radiator.
I "think" a 2 core is
1. trans fluid heater/cooler
2. single row coolant radiator

I think this is the thin radiator
We want a 3 core radiator for the thick one (I think).

Careful on the Radiator.
I "think" a 2 core is
1. trans fluid heater/cooler
2. single row coolant radiator

I think this is the thin radiator
We want a 3 core radiator for the thick one (I think).

I saved all the drained coolant and needed quite a bit more to fill the new, thick radiator.

The trans cooler was in the driver side tank of both.

first rad was thin, single row and not as thick as the tanks. new one is twice as thick double row. There wouldn't be room for more rows unless they were thinner, as this one is as thick as the tanks.

Sorry Jon, I should have clarified. I was looking at that ebay all aluminum rad and was concerned it was a 'thin' one.

That listing did have dimensions somewhere in it, I think it claims it's the full thickness.

Well, what a disappointment.:(

My mother gave me a recipe for cucumber margaritas. Sounds interesting enough to try but not waste good tequila on. So, I went looking for some cash, and being too lazy to go to the bank, I said to myself " Self, You know where some money is stashed!"
I argued it would be too much work but other self won.

I did all this

002.JPG

and all I found was some lego pieces and this

001.JPG

kinda bummed now.

That's it? What a rip off!!

Either a Joe Dirt interior clean, or a body lift? :dunno:

Removing stuff for new rocker panel welding and whatnot-with the Joe Dirt fix thrown in.

Boy is ol' gal ever dirty. I must have vacuumed the better part of a corn field out of her. Not sure I would ever have dated her if I knew her cracks were so nasty.

Had the seats and console out for an earlier heater core replacement. That was such a chore the Joe Dirt job had to wait until now. I almost want to powerwash the floor now but what good would that do? She's a dirty gal made for dirty roads I reckon.

Gonna throw my front seats and console back in so it can be driven, then powerwash all the carpets once she's moved off the driveway. It is supposed to be pretty hot for the next few days so that will dry the carpet well I hope.

Oh. Gman. My cb install works like a charm. All I needed to do was un-bolt the console connector and remove it all in one piece,console cb and all. I'm going to route the antenna cable better now that the carpet is out.

Shop vac it dry as you can, then you could use the big shop fan to dry it out all the way.

I changed out all the rubber door insulation, and it made a huge difference. Now I notice the heat & noise from under the rig, and more so that the extra hole was made for the t-case shifter.

I was thinking of installing some of that dense insulated stick on sound mat, on the floorboard for road noise, and helping with heat over the trans tunnel (2-3 layers here) & all of the floor space. You have the perfect opportunity to do that right now!

Cool, scavenging through PO's debris. I fished in mine last year and found similar trinkets, and quite a few wires of unknown purpose. I cut any non factory wires to where they went under rugs etc, so I have more to do.

The rug will dry in under a day if you have full sun, and a bush to lay it on top of. Lay it upside down initially to drip just a little, and then face it up for a few hours. The underside will be last to dry, that jute stuff is where the water and mold is held, and takes longer to dry. Flip it over again if needed, mine have always been very dry in a few hours with good sun and a little breeze.

When i did mine i hung it from the kids swingset , also i did the cargo area of my floor with a can of undercoat and it made a huge difference , wish i did the whole thing

When i did mine i hung it from the kids swingset , also i did the cargo area of my floor with a can of undercoat and it made a huge difference , wish i did the whole thing

Aha! The swing set will come in handy! Thanks!

I am considering a combination of bed liner and sound deadening sticky stuff. Might as well since it's all apart.

she's a different ride with no rug I must say-

When I got mine home I picked up all the trash and what not that I could get and found a dollar of change, that was just getting into the carpet and what have you with out a vacuum just yet. Need to get her running and then I will be getting her cleaned up purty like.

I did it. Got out the powerwasher and went through 2 tanks of fuel. I'm embarrassed by how much topsoil came out of there. If it had gotten wet I'd had a capet garden growing for sure.

But that was earlier. Before noon.

Would you believe I still have moist rug? I mean, come on already.

I might have to let it set out overnight but if I do it will rain.

Turns out I have prairie tan carpet under all the prairie tan dust. awesome!

Well done, did it come all clean? Most stains do come out, other than odd greases or staining stuff.

Prairie tan dust, isn't that the color of some dirt? Mine is that here, red clay it's called. Dirt should be black.

Back