Keep on wheelin John Rock
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
York, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer
First, my apologies for taking so long to start another EF Lottery, preparing to move has been taking a heck of lot of my time.
For the month(s) of Sept-Oct, the EF Lottery theme will be "Pot Luck"
Due to the crap with photobucket, a pic is not required. If you would like to submit with a short story about anything such as an incident with your rig, such as on the trails, working on it, etc. that is fine. If you can, post a link to a pic(s) or vid(s).
The subject matter is open to the poster, as long as it is rig or EF related. (and no more than PG rating)

Ending and drawing date will be on or about Oct 22, 2017.

Goal: To encourage members of the Explorer Forum to submit a photo and/or vid, or written story in accordance with the theme and award one member with an one year elite membership.

Only one submission to be entered into the drawing per member. Submission can contain multiable pics and or video(s) and/or links to pics/vids. Members are encouraged to post positive feedback

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a picture of my ranger on the left behind the small tree. Bkennedy in his explorer is the rig on the far right. This picture was taken a few weeks ago at Swamp Lake in the Sierra National Forest. More of our trip can be found here. Seven Days Five Trails Who is up for it?

37134445412_c10b7a6e50_c.jpg
IMG_0923 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Here is my Old Rig at a WOW Club run (Woman of Wheeling) My wife drove her the trip in but could not driver her out due to her back. Was a great rig and some days I really miss her. But I have my 97 5.0 that i will be building.
11836796_1236629933029662_8858224135773072922_n.jpg

Here is the beginning of the trailer with a 76 EB Bronco. That Bronco is built like crazy.

11207361_1236626593029996_7623553723591728812_n.jpg

Sorry about that. This was at a trail called China Wall. My club I am apart of cleans this trail on a Bi-yearly event. The trail can be ran on a stock 4x4 but can also add a little fun for the more built vehicles. This is a great trail. Can not wait to get back out on the trail again.

I'm not sure if this story will count, but I think that some people may get a kick out of it.
I bought my 92 explorer a couple of years ago from a car lot. It was a fleet vehicle from a nearby college. maintenance was very well kept as indicated by the log in the glove box.
I wanted to do an oil change so I had a good place to start. I was unable to afford it, so I kept driving normally. I ended up driving 17k miles before I had the cash to do the oil change.

Now for the funny/scary part. I had everything set up to do the change. Capacity is only 5 qts, so I knew it would go quick and easy. Well, when I pulled the oil drain plug, more oil came out than I expected. I was wondering what was going on. The oil felt super thin. Pretty much black water, no slipperiness. When I finished adding the new oil, I measured the old oil. It was 10 qts that came out. (I'm not joking about it)
I was freaking out. The engine ran fine before the change, and no lights or sounds ever came. After much research, I found out that I was very lucky I did not cause any severe engine damage. My ex is still running smooth. No major issues have happened since that oil scare. I have made it my goal now that no matter what the oil says, I will change it every 3k miles. I know I can go further, but I would rather spend $20 ish dollars for an oil change instead of who knows how many hundreds on a new or refurbed engine.

Years ago when my Explorer was used for hauling a camper my family traveled to Texas to visit family. We were driving home on the Arkansas-Tennessee bridge with our camper and in the rear view mirror we see the entire side of the camper pop out. No, really, the side of the camper peeled open like a parachute. But remember, we were on a bridge without a shoulder. We had no other option but to keep driving. Later we pulled over and taped up the side so we could drive home. This story isn't exactly about the Explorer, but considering we were pulling a 4500 lb camper loaded with my entire family and everything we brought with the Explorer, I'd think it qualifies.

Here's another story that's more recent:

At the beginning of the year my baby had a coolant leak, I'd buy a gallon of coolant(not exactly cheap) and the next day it'd be gone. One day when I was going into walmart I hear this loud noise that sounded like lots of water dropping behind me... Yep, all the coolant just dropped out of the radiator right behind me. Funny thing is that the coolant didn't seem to leak under pressure. It always dropped seconds after turning the vehicle off. She still drove and never overheated. But it's been to the point where I was praying for the engine not to blow. One radiator, water pump, and hours of struggling with the fan clutch mess she's finally cool.

I'm getting carried away, but here is another (very short)story:

A few years ago the family was going on vacation. About a week before we planned to leave we parked the camper next to the backyard pad, and it spent the entire week raining. Long story short the camper got stuck in the mud and the 2wd Expedition couldn't get it out even with concrete stepping stones under it. We hooked up the Explorer and let her rip. After hours of battling the mud with various traction devices and 4x4 we finally got it out.

So that's just a small taste of what my Explorer has been through, nothing too exciting.

I'm not the best storyteller, but I hope you'll get the gist. Ya'll know this is one of those, "you have to have been there" sorta things. I included a pic of the time I first got sucked into the wheeling world. Nearly scared me out of it, and my cluelessness could've ended this badly.

Decided to go to an off-road park to try and see if the ungodly amounts of money (for a just out of high school kid) were worth it. Being 2WD, I did not have high hopes, but just wanted to try and do the easy trails to get a taste of off-roading, if you can call it that. Well, long story short, it ended up being about 90 degrees that day, and the trails were hardly even marked. I started up a steep, rocky uphill climb which I was told is damn near impossible to do with even the slightest bit of moisture on the ground, and left even some built trucks coming back on three wheels. Manage up that and start to go through a wooded area and nothing was marked or even matching up to the map even remotely. I start getting nervous and my pops does too, but you cant really turn around there. We eventually come up to a large drop that drops to a teeny tiny overpass barely wide enough for the truck, with a small drop on both sides of the bridge. Then, there's an even steeper climb back up and its muddy and torn up. Do or die time. Wasn't sure if it'd help, but I put it in 1st and slowly climbed down. That was the easy part. Pass over the teeny bridge and start the nailbiting journey up the hill. I hit the hill and I see nothing but sky. I'm giving her about 30% gas and I keep the throttle even as I go up. I expect to start spinning the wheels anytime now, but she keeps crawling up. RPMs slowly increase, but I keep the pressure firm and steady and she keeps climbing. Eventually we make it to the top! Dad and I are still puckered up and not sure how the %#%& we did that.. We catch our breaths and slowly follow what we believe is the trail. We continue to face obstacle after obstacle but surprisingly the Explorer and the new 4.10 LS gearing make somewhat quick work of each. We come to a downward S-curve with super sharp almost 90 degree turns and got the truck on barely 3 wheels, lol. I could reach out the drivers window and touch the ground. After some bouncing on the bumper, we shake the truck enough to grip the ground enough to pull us through and after a couple more muddy uphill turns and a half mile ford through a creek that came up to my fog lights, we made it through the trail. After chatting in the rest area with a guy who busted off a shock from his 4Runner, my dad and I check the map to see where we went. Still have no idea where we went, but we think we sorta squiggled through parts of several trails, lol. One of them we later find out is a stage 4 trail that tears up more trucks than what makes it through, and is usually reserved for the trailer queen Jeeps and 4 wheelers that don't make it out of the park in one piece.

That's basically the gist, minus the boring details. I WISH i had more action pictures, but I had a death grip on the wheel the whole time and wanted no more of it, haha. Haven't been back to that park since. Found a more enjoyable one closer to me, and will return to this one if I ever do the 4x4 swap I've been planning. Thankfully the park wasn't too muddy and luck was on my side. Without a doubt, I put the truck through far, far, FAR more than it was capable of, and I learned alot from that. The truck did get me to work the next day. :)

20150808_114935.jpg

Hi, being an owner of a 2016 sport explorer for less then a month, I do not have much for stories to tell.
But here goes the one of the acquisition of my Explorer.

I was getting ready to change my old 2004 Saturn Vue V6. It was still looking decent without any rust, thanks to its plastic panel, but I knew the frame was getting tired. Needed new brakes, tires... But my Honda motor only had 175000km on it.
So I passively started to look around and find what I wanted and that process took me about a year. To my defense, I preferred to used it as much I could and pile money!

I have a 2 years old kid and about to have the next one pop out (due date is September 29th)
Was about to get a Cherooke when my wife thrown in a curve ball:"a 7 passager car would be nice to go on trip with her mother, recently widow"
One thing was sure, no mini-van!!!
Saw a couple of wanna be 7 passagers, but felt in love with Explorers!

Then come the question: new/used, what options, color...
My mother-in-law have a MLK with moonroof, when we have our kid in the back seat, he love that option. So that was the first criteria.
Now, brand new, with moonroof was a tab over my budget, so started digging for used, but preferred the newer trimline, so 2016 it was.
Ruby red looked like the best, so my criteria sounded solid enough, let start hunting...

I found one near my place, but saw 4-5 dings on the paint and dealer did not gave me the impression he would fix them for me.
Only other option was a Honda Dealer in Montreal (2h30 away form my place)
The history of that one is that the previous owner purchased it and realized the kids were all gone and did not need a full-size SUV anymore, trade-it for a TLX.

Price was good, called confirming details and to book an appointment and down I went to MTL.
This was love at first sight, Sport trim, vented leather with red stitch, no obvious chips or dings, near perfect.
The drive back from MTL was one of the best I had...

Now here I am chasing all the details to get the most of out my ride and if possible, pitch in my knowledge to help where I can.

wife and I were on a quest for a new vehicle back on 11-30-2000

We spotted a 1998 Jeep cherokee which at the time looked real nice. Took it for a drive, but weren't really feeling it.
Sitting right next to it was a Black 1998 Mercury Mountaineer with the same price, nicer, and the letters "2WD" on the windshield. No other side markings. No "V8", no "AWD"

Wife thought it drove well and we started to make the deal. Upon calling the insurance agent to check pricing we were told buy them after running the vin it was actually 4wd ( AWD of course) . That sealed the deal and we got it for 13,995 with 39k on the clock. After the deal was done we told the dealer it was actually 4wd. He said, "no way, if it was it would be 4k higher in price". I told him to take a look at the front diff. He crawled under and exclaimed "god @##&MMIT!

true story.
If it wasn't for that i would not be here.

Another one,
Anyone remember the time @corkey did a jackstand check and re settle while 5 of us were under the truck including him? Love ya Pete! :D

I was over at my dad's house doing some yard work in exchange for some help he'd given me at my place.

Part of the yard work was removing the stumps of several shrubs that he'd cut down. He had tried hooking a chain on the ball of his 85 pickup truck and pulling, and since his 2wd pickup had an open diff, all he got was a single tire mark on the sidewalk.

After using a pickaxe to remove a couple of the smaller ones and loosen the dirt around the bigger ones (yea, my dad hadn't even done that... I wonder about him sometimes...), my dad starts eying the tow hooks on my ex.

Turns out 4wd low range with limited slip front and rear work wonders on little stumps. Only had one give me any trouble. Needless to say my dad was impressed.

Another one,
Anyone remember the time @corkey did a jackstand check and re settle while 5 of us were under the truck including him? Love ya Pete! :D

I was there, and remember everybody turning white as a ghost, then red in the face. I also remember you saying there was only 2 ambulances available, and 3 of us would have been in trouble. lol

Bump...

So one day about 9 years ago, I had a thought. Close by was this great Off road park, that had every amenity one could need for a gathering. Why not attempt to get some EF members together here for a weekend?

I spent a few months preparing, organizing, and worked on a thread to ask others, and promote a weekend of good times for all who could make it. That thread had a life of it's own.

I really had no idea, how this would turn out, as it was my first attempt doing this here on EF, but I pressed on anyways. I had some experience with promotions, in the past with other types of events, and just applied that knowledge to this. Safe to say, it turned out pretty damn excellent. After all the locations across the country, and all the meets since, this one is still my favorite experience with the forum so far. :)

We had EF members from all over the country, and even 1 from north of the border show up. Besides the great wheeling, and staff hospitality that took care of us, we had contests, prizes, BBQ, Perfect weather, and a great evening of live entertainment.

Here is the return thread, have a read, and see what I mean for yourself.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/return-from-smorr.245983/

That was an awesome explorer meet , one of the best! Met a lot of great people there. Life was good that weekend.

Living in a state where heeps outnumber all other brands of rigs by 2:1 combined, we absolutely relish every opportunity to show them what our Ex’s can do. We joined a NAXJA clean up run on one of our favorite trails because 1. The coordinator is a friend of ours, and yet another friend was going to be joining also 2. He did not have a good turnout for this clean up run and we don’t mind helping 3. IT’S ONE OF OUR FAVORITE TRAILS!! So we clean up the trail and close to the top there’s a fork. To the left is the easier route, to the right.......well our friend the coordinator didn’t think a 94 sport with coil spacers, add a leaf and 31’s, nor a 96 XLT with TT, add a leaf and shackles on 31’s would be able to make it......challenge accepted XJ boy!! Our coordinator buddy took the left trail while our other buddy led the way up the more challenging side, followed by Leila, then myself. Our buddy struggled a bit on the main obstacle, but his 1 year old 2” lifted 35” tire rollin willy’s edition JKU still has yet to fail him on anything he points it at. He went up a ways and parked, then came down to spot us through. Just as Leila started toward the obstacle, 3 REALLY built JK’s come down the trail and pull over just after the obstacle to let us, the uphill traffic have the right of way. They got out and started watching. Even from as far off as I was you could see the eye rolls and boredom set in as they were sure they would be waiting a while. Leila gets to the obstacle and starts crawling up through it. First attempt, she’s just a hair too far to the right and a massive rock stops her in her tracks. She backs up a couple feet, made the tiniest of adjustments to the steering wheel and starts crawling up again, using the hand throttle to set RPM’s, and slipping the clutch just enough to mount a big rock on the left while missing the big one on the right. From here it takes perfect tire placement and just the right amount of steering input at precisely the perfect places, or you’re taking home a sheetmetal art piece carved out by the rocks themselves right into the sides of your rig. Our buddy spotting got her through the rest perfectly and her ever improving sense of making the truck an extension of herself actually made it look rather easy. As she drove past the JK guys, she heard one say to the others “dude, that’s a chick wheeling that, (this is the precise moment she drives past them so they get a little peek inside her rig, noticing the 5speed shifter) AND IT’S A MANUAL!!??” They gathered their chins off the ground and turned to watch me come up next. No eye rolling this time, just looks of curiosity......can this 4dr make it at easily as the 2dr without getting high centered? Our buddy points out the first rock he wants my driver tire on and I promptly put it there. He guides me through with the same ease as Leila, albeit I did get a lovely thump underneath that there was just no way to avoid. Had to give the 4dr just a tad more coaxing to crest the top, but did so easily. Leila had gotten out of her 94 and walked back down to watch me come up the rest of the way. As I gave him that last bit of necessary skinny pedal, Leila again hears one say to the others just as I came over the top with another stock-ish Explorer “WHAT IS GOING ON TODAY!!???”

We finish the rest of the trail, do a bit of shooting, and decide to head down the same way for the fun of it. As we’re about to enter the obstacle, a large group of heeps rounds the corner down below so we have no choice but pull in where the JK’s had and wait. Turns out this is a group started by by a husband and wife team, and who also own a 4x4 shop, are leading this group up the obstacle. Leila had met this couple through a meet up shortly after arriving in Colorado from Texas, and having noticed how everyone here wheels heeps, she started to search for a heep to buy, and talked to this shop owning couple about necessary mods to it to help a Colroado wheeling virigin have a decent chance at making it through some stuff. “When in Rome” and all.....Well.....she met me a short time later and fell in love in my rig, the General. Once she had told them she was looking for an Explorer and not a heep, they quit talking to her. (Not uncommon for some of the JK crowd around here. They even turn their noses up at heeps other than JK’s!!) Fast forward to the day of wheeling and Leila now in her own Ex......until now, they hadn’t spoken to her in over a year. They stopped next her and it didn’t take them long to realize who she was, and they non’chalantly stuck their nose in the air as the wife told her “you’ll want to turn around, there’s a pretty tough obstacle right there.”...............We just stare at them unsure of what to even say.......Finally, Leila says: “We know, we just came up it a bit ago.” The smugness in their look turned to disgust and without another word they started up the trail once more.

The next day one of Leila’s heep driving girlfriends calls her up and asks “Were you guys wheeling on Cascade Creek yesterday?”........Leila: “Yes we were but how did you know?” .........friend: “The subject of two green Ford Explorers wheeling Cascade dominated our page last night and there’s not too many green Explorer duo’s wheeling these parts.”

We have tons and tons of stories, but this one is by far my favorite.

I lost count of how many times we have made Jeepers in general, drop their jaws on the trails.

The clickish brand racism, is something I have never understood tho. It's more about the people, then the make & model to me. Who cares what your wheeling, as long as it gets you from A to B. Build what ya got, just get out there, and enjoy it.

I lost count of how many times we have made Jeepers in general, drop their jaws on the trails.

The clickish brand racism, is something I have never understood tho. It's more about the people, then the make & model to me. Who cares what your wheeling, as long as it gets you from A to B. Build what ya got, just get out there, and enjoy it.

I do agree with you there Gman. All though in the club I am in it is fun banter just like what the military does to the different branches.

So, Gman, Traveler, wife and I are in Colorado coming down off a mountain, when someone stomps all over our radio channel. "what folks will do to keep their minivan on the trail"

I think they were talking about us. lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry for the delay, a lot going on right now. Will try to do the drawing this weekend after I move in to my new place. Once again, I apologize for this long delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back