Need to Re-manufacture a 2000 Ford Explorer SOHC engine, 4.0 liter V6. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to Re-manufacture a 2000 Ford Explorer SOHC engine, 4.0 liter V6.

swift53

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, 4 door, Eddie Bauer
Need to Re-manufacture a 2000 Ford Explorer SOHC engine, 4.0 liter V6. Complete, minus A/C, power steering, and sundry outside components.

Cannot buy a rebuilt, as shipping to Central America, and send back a core as hugely expensive.

Even here, after bringing all the parts, taxes, etc. it is cost effective to rebuild it.

Just the 'distribution parts', machine shop, special tools, and Lord knows what other gremlins will be inside, labour, we are going to hit a couple of grand, which will be less than bringing a rebuilt motor from the USA and sending the core back.

This is a 100K miles motor and the chains (3) for the distribution are shot.
Probably new rings, gaskets, etc.

The members here have much more experience than I have with these motors, albeit we are very good with other motors that we have rebuilt.

Please recommend:

1. Source for failure proof ( sort of) for the chains, etc.
2. Source for the remainder of parts that may be required to complete the rebuild. (Rock Auto)
3. where can I buy the timing tool for the cams and crank.

Needless to say, I have spent many hours on your great site looking for answers, but opinions are many,
and I must admit to quite a lot of confusion in my mind.

Thank you for your kind help.

Regards, Alberto

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one can lend a hand?

Thank you in advance.

Regards, Alberto

Your questions are very vague. What is wrong with your engine? The Ford 4.0L SOHC engine's lower end (crankshaft, rods, pistons, bearings) are generally known for being very stout and long-wearing. The timing chains and all the timing related components are a known poor design and tend to be the cause of catastrophic engine failure. If your timing chains have already jumped time, or broken, your valves and possibly heads are now junk and your engine probably isn't worth rebuilding. Complete reman'd SOHC heads are hard to come by. If your engine still runs and is experiencing the so-called timing chain "death rattle" it can be rebuilt using a complete timing chain component kit, available from a number of sources. The engine must be removed to access the rear timing chain components. The special tool to hold the cams in place while replacing the timing chain parts is available on eBay (a link below).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-4-0L-S...864105&hash=item1ecf19947b:g:qO8AAOSwVbtZjGjV

Below is an eBay link showing what appears to be a complete TC kit, though I can't speak to the quality of the parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-0L-Ford-M...ash=item2ecad1efe0:g:-foAAOSwd~RZQIOz&vxp=mtr

Alberto -

I can't help with the quesiton you are asking, but one option may be to buy an engine off eBay. Auto places sell off engines from totaled vehicles, where the damage did not involve the engine. I bought a transmission for a 2009 Camry in this manner and installed it myself, working perfectly two years later. I did a search for your year/engine:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X2000+Ford+Explorer+SOHC+engine,+4.0+liter+V6.TRS0&_nkw=2000+Ford+Explorer+SOHC+engine,+4.0+liter+V6&_sacat=0

I can't vouch for any of these, but a pretty reasonable price for most.

Just checking in to report that my 1998 sport is still rattling away! Timing chain ain't broke yet.....

Thank you all for your kind replies! I am certain someone out there has done a terrific job like my project,

and lasted another 100K miles....

My issues, and hope to be clearer this time:

My engine was running, noisy when cold, and do not wish to risk failure.

1. Cannot import a used motor. Too expensive (freight, taxes, send core back $$$$)

2. I am in Central America, 3rd world, not $100x hr. as the USA, so we rebuild, we don't throw away anything,
as financially sensible and reasonable. Just the way it was in the USA a long time ago.

3. Engine is out as of today , 1 day with the great tips from the site, we are very good mechanically,
and really do things very well.

We restore cars, but have never had this situation (death rattle), mostly work on European cars, racing engines,
but it is there, so before it happens (kaboom), we are opening the motor, new gaskets, clean up the engine bay,
make the motor look pretty again.

4. Only going to do this once, so BEST parts are in order for this job. I mean, there are full chain/timing kits from $65 to $400
and I will not take a chance with things going back to bad in 20K miles. I love the truck, and want to keep it.
Certainly cannot afford to buy a new car to replace the Explorer...

5. If anything else is bad we'll replace it, be it bearings, pistons, rings, etc. How about Rock Auto?

6. Need a Great, Reliable source for parts. Nothing Chinese, Made in USA!

Thank you all again!

Regards, Alberto

Rock Auto is a good place to purchase parts, but shipping gets expensive. Also, there are typically many manufactures listed for the same part. Considering you want to do this job once and do it right, I'd try to stick with Motorcraft (Ford) parts. I purchase my parts from RA, Amazon, eBay and local auto parts stores, while shopping for the best prices w/free shipping.

BTW, forum members can receive a 5% on parts using the current RA discount code.

Well, the engine is apart. The rear cam plastic cassette was broken. As the complete motor is apart, I am wondering if I should replace all the timing components.
The crank bearings are OK, but I will know more tomorrow.
Thanks for the great advice.
Regards, Alberto

With as much trouble as it is to access the timing chain components, I'd absolutely change every damn piece of the crappy TC setup while the engine is out and I'd use Motorcraft parts. It will most likely start making the "death-rattle" noise again eventually, but hopefully not for many many miles.

I agree, Bottom end is pretty solid on these things. You will probably be alright. Any time the engine is out is a good time to replace all the timing components.

Back