lots of random electric problems... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lots of random electric problems...

k.b

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer
someone please help...:(
1st the door ajar alarm is driving me crazy. luckily i can turn my dome lights off or they would be coming on randomly while i am driving down the road. what do i need to do to to fix this?
2nd. my windshield wipers only work when they want to. i disconnected the battery, checked fuses. neither seems to be the issue. now what??
3rd. the other day i turned on my headlights and my dome lights flickered.. wtf:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have several issues. Some of them could be related to each other. I have a few suggestions, and a lot of others have gobs of experience here, but before I go on, may I ask how electrically and mechanically inclined you are? Do you have access to wiring diagrams and a repair manual?

Yes I believe I am fully capable of doing most of the repairs myself. As a single mother I know better then to tear into a project unless im certain I can do it.

Thank I appreciate your concerns

Perfect!

Let's tackle one at a time. Others, please chime in if you have more experience, but below is a systematic approach that makes sense to me.

1. There are a few things that come to mind regarding your door ajar and dome light. There should be a door jamb switch beneath the A-pillar that triggers a relay to both signal the ajar alarm and turn on the dome light. I remember on my '93 ranger it looked like a small push button switch but it may be different on your '02. I've never had an issue on my '01 so I'm sure if it's similar. Can you locate and test the switch and associated relay(s)? We can narrow down what the fault is once you dig into it.

2. You may have a faulty wiper relay. I recall it may be located in your power distribution box in the engine bay. Check the Owner's manual to confirm.

3. Can you be more specific on your headlight/domelight issue? Is it "random" or can you duplicate when it flickers?

If you don't have wiring diagrams, I can reference my FSM but it won't be until the weekend.

FordtechMakuloco has a video on the door ajar issue. He also has tons of other super helpful vids that are worth going through.

Pull back the black "accordion" boot covering the gang of wires coming through each front door. You need to slide the tube one way or the other to expose the wires. Check carefully from broken or frayed wires. Repair any problems.

Not sure about your windshield wiper, which sounds like a separate issue.

Perfect!

Let's tackle one at a time. Others, please chime in if you have more experience, but below is a systematic approach that makes sense to me.

1. There are a few things that come to mind regarding your door ajar and dome light. There should be a door jamb switch beneath the A-pillar that triggers a relay to both signal the ajar alarm and turn on the dome light. I remember on my '93 ranger it looked like a small push button switch but it may be different on your '02. I've never had an issue on my '01 so I'm sure if it's similar. Can you locate and test the switch and associated relay(s)? We can narrow down what the fault is once you dig into it.

2. You may have a faulty wiper relay. I recall it may be located in your power distribution box in the engine bay. Check the Owner's manual to confirm.

3. Can you be more specific on your headlight/domelight issue? Is it "random" or can you duplicate when it flickers?

If you don't have wiring diagrams, I can reference my FSM but it won't be until the weekend.

If it's like a second gen, and you have the keys in, and open a door it will chime at you. If you open all the doors, hatch and rear window, one of them won't trigger a new chime. This is the door you are having trouble with. As far as the wipers I'd try swapping the relays, as suggested, your manual will help you locate them.

Back