Quiet start mode | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quiet start mode

I know this for a 2011 MKX, but a lot of the ABD are shared with the 2011-2015 Explorer. I do have a "Quiet Mode" in the remote start climate settings of the left screen, but it does NOT affect the interior fan speed, what it actually does is reduce the engine idle speed so it is not very noisy.

This is what's stated in the owners manual :
To help make the vehicle as comfortable as possible, the engine idle can be increased during a remote start. You can enable or disable engine idle increase by selecting Remote Start Quiet in the message center. Refer to Message center in the Instrument Cluster chapter.

The message center chapter only shows that it is under remote start options & that it can be turned On or Off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this for a 2011 MKX, but a lot of the ABD are shared with the 2011-2015 Explorer. I do have a "Quiet Mode" in the remote start climate settings of the left screen, but it does NOT affect the interior fan speed, what it actually does is reduce the engine idle speed so it is not very noisy.

This is what's stated in the owners manual :

The message center chapter only shows that it is under remote start options & that it can be turned On or Off.

I can confirm that. After enabling quiet start on my 2016 in the HVAC module, it did NOT affect the fan speed.

We have the climate control setting on "Auto" on the remote start screen on my wife's 2017 Explorer Limited. When we use the remote start on a hot day, I would expect the AC to be cranking since it's well over 100F in the car. But it is like it is on a low setting and barely on. When we step on the brake and press the start button, the AC kicks in. Does this sound normal? Is there another setting somewhere?

My 2017 does the same thing. I have been wondering about this myself. It would male sense for it to crank the A/C on high.

We have the climate control setting on "Auto" on the remote start screen on my wife's 2017 Explorer Limited. When we use the remote start on a hot day, I would expect the AC to be cranking since it's well over 100F in the car. But it is like it is on a low setting and barely on. When we step on the brake and press the start button, the AC kicks in. Does this sound normal? Is there another setting somewhere?
Your thread has been moved here. What you have is NOT normal although others have the same issue. Your system is operation in "Quiet Mode". It is shown in the Manual but there are not Settings for it in the Explorer. Check the other posts here for more info.

Peter

My 2017 does the same thing. I have been wondering about this myself. It would male sense for it to crank the A/C on high.
You say you have a 2017 but your profile say 2016 Explorer. Please update and add the Required/Requested 'Trim Level' (Base, XLT, etc.) as well. Thanks.

Peter

Your thread has been moved here. What you have is NOT normal although others have the same issue. Your system is operation in "Quiet Mode". It is shown in the Manual but there are not Settings for it in the Explorer. Check the other posts here for more info.

Peter

Thank you Peter! There is a little comfort knowing I am not alone. We'll take it in to our dealer and see what they can do. We are in Florida, so it can get pretty darn hot in the car. Remote start was one of my wife's requirements when we bought the Exp, so I sure hope the local techs know how to fix it.

I was able to confirm this. The 2016's and 2017's have a slower remote start fan setting but this is not the same as "Quiet Start" - Quiet Start only reduces engine RPM in remote start mode and it is disabled on every 2016/17 that I've checked.
Just checked mine using remote start and you are right. The fan does run slower than my previous vehicles and as soon as I pressed the 'Start' button the displays come alive and the fan speed picked up significantly. I usually only use remote start in the Winter time and never actually noticed the difference. Will have to try and remember to check it out. Key word being "remember".:)

Peter

...... - Quiet Start only reduces engine RPM in remote start mode and it is disabled on every 2016/17 that I've checked.
'Quiet Start' has the blower motor run at a reduced speed to create less noise. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/quiet-start.312659/#post-3516011 That is what the 2016 and 2017 vehicles seem to be stuck in.
There is nothing in that Manual to indicate the engine RPM is reduced.Perhaps that is what 'Quiet Mode' does but I'd never heard of it before reading it in the thread.

Peter

'Quiet Start' has the blower motor run at a reduced speed to create less noise. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/quiet-start.312659/#post-3516011 That is what the 2016 and 2017 vehicles seem to be stuck in.
There is nothing in that Manual to indicate the engine RPM is reduced.Perhaps that is what 'Quiet Mode' does but I'd never heard of it before reading it in the thread.

Peter

When I enabled quiet start on my vehicle, it lowered engine RPM and kept the engine fan lower. The interior fan settings didn't change- these appear to be part of the newer software calibrations for all 2016/2017 vehicles.

Same issue here. During these 95+ degree days remote start is almost useless.

Was using carplay today and got a call. Fan speed went down in order to talk on the call. Wonder if it could be linked or for some reason quiet start code is mixing up with the quiet mode when on a call?

Took my 17 Limited to the dealer yesterday for an oil change and had him look at the minimal AC during remote start. He said that is normal. I'd like to know if anyone has had any luck with theirs or are we really stuck with this.

I know that in IDS under the remote start settings for the 17 there is a selection for quiet start. I don't know if this only applies to vehicles that have it added on or if it would be possible to hook up to a factory equipped one and read it. I would be willing to do this for someone but I doubt any of you are in the central WI area.

I have the same issue. I thought I only needed to change a config but you guys are getting me worried!

Bonjour Mathieu, welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't think there is really anything to worry about. It is what it is. I used remote start last Winter and really didn't notice any difference from my previous vehicles.
But then I can't say I really paid much attention to this issue. Maybe I will this time around.:)

Peter

some possibilities for 733-07-01 from UCDS software, these values may differ in 2016-2017

3xxx xxxx rear and front defrost? on
0xxx xxxx rear and front defrost? off
xAxx xxxx quiet start on
x2xx xxxx quiet start off
F6xx xxxx seats and wheel auto, quiet start off
FExx xxxx seats and wheel auto, quiet start on

733-07-01 xxxx xx** - this appears to be temperature settings cold to warm- 00,08,10,18, 20, 28, 30, 38, 48, etc

EDIT: Nevermind, this is the my temp setting. Not related to remote start

For my 2018 I couldn't find the as-built to reference and I never quite took down the default values. But I believe it was 0000 0070 xx since my 2018 XLT never came with remote start, didn't have heated seats/wheel.

I added the Ford VSS remote start and enabled remote start. Everything works fine except the rear defroster stays ON when I turn the ignition on after a remote start. I don't remember if my 2014 SHO factory remote start/EATC did this as well.

I can confirm that the MyTemp setting works even with a manual HVAC system. I had my temp knob set to full cold and shut the car off. With Auto Climate Remote Start, it would blow warm air out.

The Quiet Start doesn't make any sense since I can't tell a difference in engine RPM with it on or off. However, if I turn off Rear Defrost, the remote start won't engage the rear defrost. And with ambient temps around 45F-50F, it still activated rear defrost when I had it on.

So right now my 733-07-01 is 3000 0070 E2
This enables rear defrost with remote start. I don't have a heated wheel/seats.

FORScan has a setting for Remote Start Heater A/C, and if that is turned ON, then the Remote Start Climate setting goes to Last Setting. I have no clue why.

So 3000 0070 E2 translates to:

Driver Seat Off
Heated WHeel Off
Pass Seat Off
Rear Defroster On
Remote Start Front Defrost On
Remote Start Heater A/C Off
Remote Start Quiet Start Off

I'd still like to find out a way to have the rear defrost turn off when I switch the ignition on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is what the Manual says for the heated rear window. I believe that also applies to the remote start.

1610582537754.png

Peter

Back