New AT style tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New AT style tires

So when I bought my new explorer, it had those Michelin latitude tour HP tires on it, mostly highway tire. I didn't really like them and here in PA, you never know what kind of winter we are going to have. So Ive been researching for a while what options on AT type tires...not many because of this size...but Yokohoma has the Geolander in the 245/60 R!8 size...I got them today installed for 139.99 for the tire, 8 dollars for mount and balance, and 4.99 for the nitrogen fill. I drove it home today and I will say I feel that the ride is just as good as the Michelins, no increase in road noise, and to me it almost feels like it rolls faster than the Michelin tires. The tires weigh the same at 34 lbs each, so unless rolling resistance gets me, I don't think the MPGs will change. I'll try and update when we get snow how well they handle.

Which model of Yokohama? Just curious.

I have a friend who has Yokohama Geolander A/T-S on his 2000 Dodge Ram. He's very happy with them.

yes they are the geolander at-s tires, a quick update....have had them on for 1 week now. Ride is not as smooth as the HP tires, but what do you expect from an AT tire? But the rolling resistance must be a lot less than my Michelins. My fuel mileage has increased!! I was getting 16.5 to max of 17.4 around town driving, with no change in style, fuel, or any mods to the vehicle, but my mileage is now up to 18.9 to 20.5 depending on activity!! the vehicle seems to need less power to get rolling with these tires. Despite the less smooth road feel, I still like these tires a lot!!

i run the Geolander AT-S on my wife's Edge, very happy with them, but not much snow in Philly last year. slightly noisier than the highway tires they replaced, but not a big deal. Waiting for the stock GY Fortera's on my Ex to wear out before I upgrade, probably in the spring. I'll probably go with KO2's cause i like the white letters, but if money is tight, i might go with the Geolanders.

I put Cooper Discoverer A/T-3 on my 2000 Ranger 4x4, & my wife's 99 Explorer Sport. I like them.

53679-10-26-16-my-2000-ranger-4x4-our-yard.jpg

Back