I live in Europe, and need help with my 2012 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I live in Europe, and need help with my 2012 Explorer.

Reaction score
City, State
Platen Luxemburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer
Hello,
I just joined the forum.

We just bought our Explorer Ltd. and love the car.

We live in Luxemburg one of the smallest countries in Europe. The explorer is officially not sold here in Europe (Ford is still not aware of the cars potential).

Because we live in Europe I do have problems (not functioning) of the navigation system, the dvd players in the rear headrests and the HD FM radio frequenties. No EU maps available for the navigation system, dvd players are zone 1.
I have written Ford USA for help and the brand of the navigation system and the brand of the software - maps used. This so that I can contact the maps manufacturer to see if they have Europe maps available to install.
Also I asked Ford for the make and serial numbers of the dvd players, this so i can based on that information find the right software to change zone 1 into zone 0 (both zone 1 and zone 2 dvds will then work).

They reacted but I did not get an answer with the asked for information. So I send them again an email.
Perhaps there is somebody here on the forum who can assist or help?
best regards,
Gerrit Hoogesteger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 2011 + section. We have representatives from Ford on this site which are a very valuable asset. They could help you obtain information from Ford if you provide all of the details. They check the threads in this section daily.

Welcome Gerrit! The maps are made by Telenav and come on the SD memory card that the navigation runs off of. I'm not if you can upgrade the maps onto the memory card or not.

Don't be surprised if the response you receive is that they do not provide support for gray market vehicles due to product liability reasons, etc.

Hi,

Thank you very much. I already have written to Telenav. Lets see how they will answer.

I am convinced that with the navigations system and its maps software and with the regional code for the dvds and such is in principle very easy. Just a simple new software or software adjustment.

It is not that it is not possible but purely a question do they want to assist.

I will keep you informed.
Best regards
Gerrit

You don't mention where you bought your Explorer. I doubt Ford will do much for you if you exported it from the US, but good luck.

...I just joined the forum...We live in Luxemburg one of the smallest countries in Europe...Because we live in Europe I do have problems (not functioning) of the navigation system, the dvd players in the rear headrests and the HD FM radio frequenties...
Welcome to the boards, Gerrit! I recommend calling the Ford of Belgium Customer Relationship Center @ +32 (0) 2 482 26 26. One of the awesome agents there will be happy to help.

...We have representatives from Ford on this site which are a very valuable asset. They could help you obtain information from Ford if you provide all of the details. They check the threads in this section daily.
BrooklynBay,

Thank you so much for your kind words! :)

Cory

Hi thank you for the information, I will talk to my Ford dealer here were I bought the car.

Hello i did talk to the Belgium people, but did not get much help. D
They advised me to call a dealer in Antwerp who also import US Fords.

Hi I did not buy the car in the US. I bought the car directly from an official Ford dealer who are already (next to the regular european business) importing Fords from the Us for decades.

I have the Revolution LT in the back rests.

In my manual on p26 it states : Video Display System is NTSC / PAL. However my PAL (region 2) DVD's do not work.

What model do you have?

Mine is made by Invision, www.invisionautomotive.com.

I have have send them 2 messages from the support page on their site, with no reply.

I moved from South Africa to Canada so I have many PAL format DVD's.

Hope someone can help us.

Hi Gert,

My Car has not yet been delivered by the dealer, but I will get on it and get back to you.
Best regards
Gert

I had similar issues living in Europe with my 05 Aviator. I lived with the radio and the Regio 1 DVD player, I did manage to solve the Nav issue eventually by finding the nearest-equivalent European-market vehicle and getting hold of the nav disc. In my case this was from a Jaguar - who were, of course, owned by Ford back then.

I'm talking about a previous-gen nav system, of course. But in theory you might have some success with the Europe maps from a 2013 Mondeo / Fusion, as and when it's released.

Good luck!

Hi Tomorrow or day after I will see that I can visit my Ford dealer and find out more about the dvd system in the headrests. On the pictures on the website of Invision it looks like I have the same (Invision Revolution II or Revolution IIG).
A friend of mine (electrical engineer) who works in the electronic - sound system business for over 25 years told me that when one has the serial number and manufacturer and type number of any dvd player it is absolutely possible to change it is absolutely possible to change the region 1 or region 2 into region 0 (zero) and that then all dvds with coding region 1 and region 2 will work!

Hi Jimmy
thank you for the information.
I have learned more about the navigation system. It seems that in the new 2012 Ford Focus the My Touch System will be available in Europe. Then it should be possible to buy the right SD Card from Ford. When they want to do this that is?
For DVD see my comment to GertR

Hi thank you for the information, I will talk to my Ford dealer here were I bought the car.
You got it, Gerrit; thanks for keeping us in the loop.

I had similar issues living in Europe with my 05 Aviator. I lived with the radio and the Regio 1 DVD player...
I appreciate you taking the time to help out, Jimmy-B. :)

...I moved from South Africa to Canada so I have many PAL format DVD's.

Hope someone can help us.
That sounds like a fun move, GertR. Have you spoke with one of the agents at the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center @ 1-800-565-3673? If you already have, let me know via PM with what they said.

Cory

I moved from South Africa to Canada so I have many PAL format DVD's.

Lived in Cape Town 00 - 04, my son was born there. Beautiful place :cool:

But in theory you might have some success with the Europe maps from a 2013 Mondeo / Fusion, as and when it's released.

Hello ... from Germany !
I have the same problem, I own a 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L Ecoboost which was imported from the US ..or maybe Canada, b/c it has a kph (km/h) speedo instead the typical US-mph speedo.

I'm sad to say but just taking a European SD-card won't work out.
I took a "F5" SD-Card from a Gen. 4 Mondeo (2007-2014) and put into my 2013 Explorer Sync2 .. but all I got was "insert valid SD-card" ..

Any help also would be highly appreciated ...

Martin, from Germany

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello ... from Germany !
I have the same problem, I own a 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L Ecoboost which was imported from the US ..or maybe Canada, b/c it has a kph (km/h) speedo instead the typical US-mph speedo.

I'm sad to say but just taking a European SD-card won't work out.
I took a "F5" SD-Card from a Gen. 4 Mondeo (2007-2014) and put into my 2013 Explorer Sync2 .. but all I got was "insert valid SD-card" ..

Any help also would be highly appreciated ...

Martin, from Germany

Hi,

Check if you have the latest sync version installed

https://owner.ford.com/your-vehicle.html

my explorer worked fine with the original US 3.8 and a european F5 card... only the voice is sometimes wrong.....

but i installed the German language a year ago with help of @jmr061 , maybe he could help here, too :)

Back