2007 Mountaineer problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Mountaineer problem

Hypothetically if I went to a mechanic to have my spark plugs and/or coils replaced, what kind of cost am I look at?

I know from past cars that I often would think "transmission problems" but it was something entirely different, like a bad MAF sensor or a software issue. So hopefully this is another case of that, where it's something much more minor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It can vary. Get a quote, if they are supplying the plugs OEM or equivalent its part of the cost. The plugs are not cheap but are long life.

They maybe NGK but be sure not to substitute on the type and I'd want someone who is familiar with working on Ford V8 as the issues are common across the Ford engines should a removal tool be needed. The mechanic should own one.

Some people report success with using aftermarket plugs and coils. I was not so lucky. Every time I used something else than Motorcraft, I had issue withing few months.
The Ford parts are more expensive but will work almost for sure.

I was quoted by a dealer $ 399 to replace 8 plugs plus $ 150 for each that breaks. They assured me they had a technician who would get them all out in 1 piece :)

PL... Was that by any chance Mahwah Ford on Franklin Turnpike just a few blocks over the state line?

A friend of mine told me last year of a similar promise of confidence there, and it came true.

Or they took his money, never changed them, and sent him on his merry way, with none broken!

Yep, Mahwah Ford.

That was 6 years ago. After I did a simple math that the worst case may be $ 1600 to change the plugs, or they can tell you that let's say 3 broke, so paying close to a 1000 was not really an appealing option. I ended up doing it with my friend and we had to drill #8. It was a nightmare.

I also got same assurance about "our special guy" from All American on 17 in Paramus.

Hopefully the environment to Re & Re the plugs in the 2009 - 2010 are better and more successful. It is hard to find what changes have been made over the years but the V8's have had this problem in Pickups as well in their Triton engines. Odd that Ford hasn't addressed it a the build level once and for all.

Huh, interesting. I live in North Jersey too, although Mahwah is still a hike.

Update: Took the Mountaineer in for new spark plugs. Didn't feel like doing them myself in case they broke, which I hear is common. Mechanic said after replacing all the spark plugs, NOW the car is showing a check engine light for misfire in cylinder 4. New ignition coil and new fuel injector, and the misfire continues. Currently waiting on a part to do a compression test...

He should try a new plug as a bad plug would do it and much cheaper. IMO it can be a bad plug or a damaged one (cracked etc)

Edit: If the compressor was low you'd have codes or issues before the change of the plugs. If the plug is tight in the thread as it should that would be all that's needed.

Swap coil #4 with another coil, and see if the error code moves to the other cylinder or not. If it moves, you need to replace the coil that you moved. If the error code stayed in cylinder #4, then try swapping plug #4 to another cylinder. If error code moves, then you know you have a bad plug, and it should be replaced under warranty.

If moving coil does not move the code, and moving the plug does not move the code, then continue with other investigations.

PS - How much did they charge for the plug job? Did any plugs break?

Update: mechanic just called, two cylinders are now misfiring. He thinks it's a bad intake manifold gasket. Currently coordinating with warranty company to do the repair.

Final verdict: car has two dead cylinders and will require a motor rebuild or a junkyard motor. Since I haven't owned the car very long the dealer has agreed to do an exchange.

Wow, 67k and the motor is bad.....
Very unusual for the 4.6
I guess nobody knows what the previous owners did (or did not do).
They should easily last 200k if not more.

Wow, 67k and the motor is bad.....
Very unusual for the 4.6
I guess nobody knows what the previous owners did (or did not do).
They should easily last 200k if not more.

The salesman told me the previous owner was a mechanic. I took that to mean the car was well taken care of. Now I realized it probably meant the guy realized there was a problem with it, did something to make the check engine light go away, and then traded it in sneakily.

Ouch, dealer using the warranty company to hand the cost of the replacement engine (from what, miles, or rebuild) Too low mileage is not always good. A lot of sitting and maybe neglected oil changes. Time is a factor in changing oils as much as miles on it. You can't run on the same oil for a year or more because the miles aren't there.

I had similar issues, but it just ended up being a very dirty MAF sensor. My house is on a gravel road

Update: Took the Mountaineer in for new spark plugs. Didn't feel like doing them myself in case they broke, which I hear is common. Mechanic said after replacing all the spark plugs, NOW the car is showing a check engine light for misfire in cylinder 4. New ignition coil and new fuel injector, and the misfire continues. Currently waiting on a part to do a compression test...
Im having the same issues, I had a ford dealer check out the compression in the cylinders, I swapped out all the spark plug and coil packs and now everytime I drive the check engine light comes on and the code is always misfires. I wonder if its the ignition control module?

Back