• Register Today It's free!

Help please

Jillmd

Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
I'm out of town for a few more weeks and my wife sent me this video last night. She said, she drove to the mail box, got out and heard this noise coming from the front of the car. She said every time she hears the "click" the head lights would dim then brighten back up. What do you guys think it is? What should I have her check?
No check engine lights on the dash. 49053 miles, never had a problem with it. This morning she face timed me with the car idling and it did not make the clicking noise. I had her turn all the lights on and heater to create a load on the alternator and no noise.

Sorry about the video.

Thanks for the info.
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm out of town for a few more weeks and my wife sent me this video last night. She said, she drove to the mail box, got out and heard this noise coming from the front of the car. She said every time she hears the "click" the head lights would dim then brighten back up. What do you guys think it is? What should I have her check?
No check engine lights on the dash. 49053 miles, never had a problem with it. This morning she face timed me with the car idling and it did not make the clicking noise. I had her turn all the lights on and heater to create a load on the alternator and no noise.

Sorry about the video.

Thanks for the info.
Mike

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/surge-and-clicking-noise.442416/

I had the same problem but unfortunately didn't get any response to my post. The issue didn't come back. Good luck!

Thanks for the info.
Mike
Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
Although I see that you're in Alaska, was the A/C running at the time? Sometimes the compressor cutting in will cause that clicking but really should not affect the headlights unless the battery is low. A compressor also should click ON/OFF that frequently in a short time period.

Peter

Although I see that you're in Alaska, was the A/C running at the time? Sometimes the compressor cutting in will cause that clicking but really should not affect the headlights unless the battery is low. A compressor also should click ON/OFF that frequently in a short time period.

Peter
Thank you and no the AC was off.

Although I see that you're in Alaska, was the A/C running at the time? Sometimes the compressor cutting in will cause that clicking but really should not affect the headlights unless the battery is low. A compressor also should NOT click ON/OFF that frequently in a short time period.

Peter

I think you meant to say the compressor should NOT click on/off that frequently.

I agree that it does sound like the AC compressor is cycling on/off, but much too frequently. If you can pop the hood and see the A/C compressor, you might be able to see if it's cycling on/off.

Just to confirm, was the front defrost or feet only HVAC on? If so, the A/C will be on regardless if the light is lit up on the dash in those to settings.

I think you meant to say the compressor should NOT click on/off that frequently.

I agree that it does sound like the AC compressor is cycling on/off, but much too frequently. If you can pop the hood and see the A/C compressor, you might be able to see if it's cycling on/off.
Yes, thank you for that correction.

She is going turn everything on and drive around.

Back