M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 49 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your clutch master might not be able to support the throw needed. How much different is one for a mustang?
Idk..know mine is 16mm bore and Mustang is 19mm for starters.. .

I got to thinking its the master also..because a shim would only help if i was maxing out my throw..if i was doing that the pedal would be stiff right off the bat moving the slave right away..

Mines mush till about 3/4" way down then gets slightly stiff and then you can hear the pressure plate moving...i swear its got air in it or the master is bad...its doing the same thing as it did with the m5 last month,the whole reason i parked it and haven't been driving because i was losing fluid somewhere and had no pedal. .maybe my master has been bad,not my slave..its only about 2 years old

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I have both slaves and swear they look exactly the same other than having a bleeder

They make a 7/8" master,i have a 5/8" bore right now..probably going to try this first before i pull the trans..
Screenshot_2017-09-17-21-20-46.png

Yeah I'd definitely try swapping the master. It could be bad but most likely maxed out of travel. The bigger bore is going to move more fluid which in turn push the slave out more.

Yeah I'd definitely try swapping the master. It could be bad but most likely maxed out of travel. The bigger bore is going to move more fluid which in turn push the slave out more.
Im ready online and people looking for a 7/8" are saying they bought 7/8" and got it for it only to be 3/4"...said most companies are just using 3/4" for everything now..hmm

3/4 is still bigger than 5/8. Check for new old stock on ebay. I assume the one you need is used in early 90s f150s

3/4 is still bigger than 5/8. Check for new old stock on ebay. I assume the one you need is used in early 90s f150s
I take that back,idk what size i have..i bought the LUK and it doesnt say but has to be 3/4 or 5/8..dorman also list a 15mm which is even smaller...

The Mustang is 19mm or 3/4"..

Ive ordered the 7/8" one,hopefully its 7/8" and not the same as what i have or hopefully mine is just bad..idk

Ordered 9-2015
Screenshot_2017-09-17-22-45-08.png

So the new starter and 7/8" master fixed those issues. .the starter actually was worn pretty bad compared to the new one,the teeth were a good 1/8th longer at least. ..

The new master was all steel and much beefier..the angle was slightly different so the hole it fits through i needed to bore out so it could spin some,then one new hole needed to be drilled..but it works perfectly, starts to move the pressure plate about a 2" pressed..it feels 100% better than old clutch and master..its firm the whole time but easier to press than old one,shifts smooth as butter and super tight..

Tomorrow going to pull the passenger cover and check the rockers..i honestly think i just messed up adjusting them,everyone was different. .think i need to find a better way of doing it..i set it at 0 lash and then preloaded one full turn...this obviously wasnt best way..bad part to get the driverside cover off the supercharger needs to come off so i HOPE something jumps out at me on the passenger as its the LOUDEST. ..
20170921_175617.jpg
20170921_175609.jpg
20170921_175455.jpg

Well found out why it was running bad and im PISSED...!!!!!

KNEW I SHOULDNT HAVE USED THIS BS!!

20170922_174038.jpg

20170922_173948.jpg

20170922_173954.jpg

What diameter is that stud? I've got some off a set off a small block ford that's very similar to what he used. It appears he welded it though.

1506125361750.jpg

What diameter is that stud? I've got some off a set off a small block ford that's very similar to what he used. It appears he welded it though.

View attachment 151009
They are drilled and tapped.probably same you have...i wont be running or trusting this without a top girdle. .stock it is..

So now the issue is that i need to run lash caps..they dont make caps shallow enough to fit the intake valve tip..the intake valve tip extenzes .051 above the lock..the caps depth is .090 so i need to find a way to mill the cap down to about .045 so it doesnt press on my locks..the top thickness is .080 so need to order pushrods .080 shorter...

How im gonna mill them is biggest issue and if they will stay on the valve tip with that shallow of a depth...know more tomorrow

Well milled the caps down and it was not easy to say the least..i have a set of sealed power pushrods in 5.485 length that im gonna throw in,they will be a little long but think they will work..essentially be like running a 5.565 pushrod,these motor typically fall in the 5.525-5.550 range for about .060 preload,the plunger travel is about .150 so ill still have plenty of plunger travel plus my copper gaskets were .060 which is about .010 thicker than normal gaskets. .soo should be safe..

Tomorrow im going to rip the supercharger off and throw it all in..FUN FUN!!

Wellll she's alive! !! Still pissed at Tom and sure i see a dollar back but who cares..

Needs a tune real real bad..at cruise its running super lean,so bad im not risking driving it..it bounces back and forth from 16-17 at cruise and jumps to 10-11 when you try to accelerate..the check engine light is on i assume from running lean..thought vacuum leak but im pulling about 16-18 which is what it was pulling before..

I will say this,this thing has some POWER..i haven't got on it at all but a 1/4" press of the gas and it jumps into boost and twist the body up..it also revs very very fast,you have to be careful as a crack of the throttle and it about jumps to redline..

Ive sent my tuner a email so hopefully he can get me in asap!!..

Rockers sound loud but honestly its one of the quietest ohv ive built

Congratulations!

Thanks everyone. .my tuner emailed me back saying what i thought he would..basically that he cant do a full dyno tune till the clutch is broke in..but what he did say is that he can adjust the tune he has on file to have more fuel at idle and cruise. .then i can just bring my chip down and he will copy it on it for me..this is how we did it when i switched to e50,took a couple trys but he got it really close for me..this is the tune i still have and using..

Hopefully he will have it done tomorrow. .then once clutch is broke in ill bring it down for the real dyno tune adjust..

Soo something is going on..i dont think its tune related..its been running very very lean at idle and cruise like 16-17 and very rich at acceleration like 10-11...

Tonight i checked EVERYTHING and rechecked EVERYTHING. .then reset the ecm..let it idle and warm up..seemed to run a little better so took it for a drive..it ran pretty good af like 14-15 but acceleration it would peg rich and not read..then it would switch back to lean as hell..it continued to do this every 5-10mins till it ended up just running RICH at idle and cruise and sooo rich at acceleration that it wanted to stall...

Something is going on..idk of sensor, pump/psi or something else but its going crazy and cant make its mind up or stabilize...i think the lean is when it goes into open loop or closed loop..which every is the safe mood

@4pointslow any input??

I would stop driving it until your tuner gets that adjusted tune for you.
Without seeing any data I may not be of much help.
Pull the plugs, see if they are black(fouled) or clean.
Weird things can happen when the mixture is not correct.
Pull the dipstick too, smell the oil on the dipstick.
If it smells like fuel change the oil.

Driving a vehicle with the A/F way off can lead to engine damage.
An overly rich mixture can cause lots of fuel in the oil from normal crankcase blowby entering the crankcase.
Fuel in the oil can thin it out and ruin bearings.

To check fuel pressure you could hook up a gauge and watch the pressure.
Make sure there are no exhaust leaks, if there are in front of the O2 sensor it can wreak havock with the A/F mixture.

Back