• Register Today It's free!

Engine Coolant Recommendations?

tripplec

Reaction score
City, State
Bowmanville, ON Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer LTD AWD
I am checking the manual and its difficult to know what has be currently in the system. The rad is full, checked a few times but the reservoir is not and topping it up before Fall/Winter would be nice. However, reading the PDF.

• Add Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant or equivalent
meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B51-A1.

AND

• Do not add/mix an orange-colored, extended life coolant such
as Motorcraft Specialty Orange Engine Coolant, meeting Ford
specification WSS-M97B44-D, or DEX-COOL brand with the
factory-filled coolant. Mixing Motorcraft Specialty Orange Engine
Coolant or any orange-colored extended life product such as
DEX-COOL brand with your factory filled coolant can result in
degraded corrosion protection.

I currently have two types on hand for other vehicles. But as luck would have it not compatible with this.
- Prestone #1 (says Guaranteed for all Vehicles) Don't know how they can claim that.
- A Motomaster generic for ASIAN vehicles (Long list of them)

Both are concentrated jugs.
Looking at the fluid in the rad (its not Green) is impossible to know. Its a crude guess.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Zerex G05 meets Ford specs WSS-M97B51-A1. I would image that would be the best to add - that's what I put in when I did the radiator replacement with a simple flush. Prior to the replacement, I was topping off with the Prestone for all vehicles. That was over the course of say 2 years. Did it work? Yes. Did it cause any long term damage? I have no idea.

Hmm ok, I used that in a Jeep I had. HOAT antifreeze
Thanks

When I replaced my radiator 4 years ago and had to refill the whole system, I used something that was green and was in yellow jags and got it from Walmart :)
No issues. I know you need to follow the specs, but sometimes overthinking is no good.
Different story with GM and their Dexcool or something like that.

It was hard to tell what colour is in it. Its not pink, darker, not orange dirtier. LOL That Prestone maybe ok for a top up then.

The Zerex is more yellow than it is orange. It really kinda looks dirty right from the jug as I recall.

Also used Zerex when I changed my radiator a few months ago. No issues.

When I recently changed my thermostat, I drained a few gallons and just refilled it with that same mysterious yellow jug from Walmart that Explorer_PL used. I'm with the whole don't over think it concept. I had researched the crap out of the yellow jug brand and eventually found some people saying it was the same ingredients as the stuff in Dexcool and that it was terrible for your vehicle. Then my head hurt and I said "screw it" and bought the crap anyways.

I'll hop on board and recommend Zerex G05, as well. Have been using it for a while and haven't encountered issues.

when I replaced my water pump this spring I did the universal green autozone coolant..... with fords I agree don't over think it coolant is coolant so green is green...... heck I even put the green stuff in place of gm dexcool.... simply because I hate that stuff lol

the anti-freeze that you have is probably the yellow that ford used for a few years it is non toxic. the green is compatable but it is toxic to dogs cats.
roscoe
ps when I changed the anti-freeze in my super duty I used the yellow colored fluid again.

The Prestone I have on hand is a bright Yellow. I am guess from all the feed back it will do for a reservoir top up without any issues.

Thanks

Is there anything to be aware of when swapping the coolant? I need to change mine out and have the supplies ready to go, just not yet started on it.

do not put the new red in until you have cleaned all of the green or yellow out .I would just flush and replace with what you have.
roscoe

Before I flushed the cooling system last year on my 2010 V6, I did a lot of research on this very subject.
The only conclusive anti-freeze that I had found to use was either Motorcraft Gold(expensive), or Zerex G05. I used the later with no problems. I did have a Radiator replaced due to an accident and the Dealer put the Green crap in against my wishes and ended up changing thermostat housing not to long (within a few weeks) after because it started leaking around seals. I believe it had to do with the green anti freeze they put in. Only believe this because, when I flushed system previous year I changed housing.

One thing the manual is explicit on (2009 anyway) is not to use the Green antifreeze. Why they would do that. Its a no no for pretty much any new vehicle these days. It does not mix with anything without issues.

tripplec,
Since you can't seem to identify which coolant you have, this seems to indicate whatever you have is quite dirty.
Why not just have the system flushed, and top off with the Extended Life Prestone?

Well its more like not a definitive colour as apposed to dirty. Not brilliant or vibrant to be certain looking in the rad.

Same here, I used the Zerex G05 almost 3 years ago along with the radiator replacement, no leaks or issues

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well its more like not a definitive colour as apposed to dirty. Not brilliant or vibrant to be certain looking in the rad.
take some out of the radiator and see what color it is

Back