SVO

Meow
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Smithville/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
08' Suzuki SX4
I need to know the differences in the Sport Trac rear axle vs the standard Explorer and a Ranger.

I know the Sport Trac is baised on the Ranger extended cab frame.

I have a guy that needs to replace his rear axle assy. and I need to know what I'm looking for to make the complete swap easy for both of us.
(blew it up spraying on it!)

*someone call Johnstone lol!*

BTW this is a 2001 2wd Sport Trac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The explorer 8.8 (95+) has discs and is 31 spline.. All ranger 8.8's have drums and are 28 spline with the exception of the FX4. 01-02 sport tracs have 31 spline 8.8's with drum brakes. 03+ sport tracs have 8.8's with discs. Also, I think there may be some minor differences between the sport trac 8.8 and the explorer 8.8.

a 1000 TIMES THANK YOU Jason!

The sport trac and explorer have the same rear end with the exception of brakes (as mentioned above) I have performed axle swaps on both and they are complete bolt on.....

The sport trac and explorer have the same rear end with the exception of brakes (as mentioned above) I have performed axle swaps on both and they are complete bolt on.....

I was shocked when I looked under my sport trac and realized the 8.8 had drums. Why did they do this, when regular explorers have had disc since '95.?

I'm a new sport trac owner so sorry for bringing this old thread up.

Apologies for the thread necro, but wanted to correct something since this comes up to the top when googling the Sport Trac axle...

The Sport Trac should have 31 spline axles, -not- 28 spline.

Did the Sport Tracs ever get the IRS the Explorers got in 2002?

Good info on this thread. I’m looking into a 3.73 ls axle out of a trac. My 2000 has a 3.55 open diff that needs to go.

Good info on this thread. I’m looking into a 3.73 ls axle out of a trac. My 2000 has a 3.55 open diff that needs to go.

Shouldn't be hard to find. There are a lot of salvage explorers out there with 3.73s i just swapped mine out for 4.10s.

Shouldn't be hard to find. There are a lot of salvage explorers out there with 3.73s i just swapped mine out for 4.10s.
I want to buy one on eBay since no 4.10’s are available in my area. Just wondering if a sport trac axle with disc brakes will bolt on to my 2000.

Back