• Register Today It's free!

2000 explorer loses power

Explorer_4x4_2000

Reaction score
City, State
Lewisburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, xlt
I have a 2000 explorer 4.0 sohc and when I'm accelerating I can keep the gas pedal at the same spot it will accelerate at first and then die down and to accelerate again i got to let out the gas and re apply the gas to get it up and going again
Does anyone have any idea to what could causethis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no check engine light on i scanned it and drove it multiple times but no light or codes

Do you see a check engine light? If no, check to see if it comes on when you turn on the key
There is no check engine light on i scanned it and drove it multiple times but no light or codes

First two thoughts are throttle position sensor or fuel pressure low. The latter can be checked with a loaner tool pressure gauge from Autozone/etc.

I assume you're not driving like a maniac :burnout:
I mean if you're hitting the 5K (?) RPM rev limiter that could be described like that...

First two thoughts are throttle position sensor or fuel pressure low. The latter can be checked with a loaner tool pressure gauge from Autozone/etc.

I assume you're not driving like a maniac

I don't take it above 3 to 4 rims how do I check fuel pressure:burnout:
I mean if you're hitting the 5K (?) RPM rev limiter that could be described like that...

I don't drive it over 3 to 4k rpm how do i check if the sensor is good

I had a similar condition at one time, with poor cold starts as well. A new fuel pump resolved the issue.

I don't drive it over 3 to 4k rpm how do i check if the sensor is good
I would check the fuel pressure first, and someone else might be able to give you more specifics about a throttle sensor reading.

However based on the wiring diagram I'm looking at, it looks like a 3 wire sensor. The gray/red wire and brown/white are two ends of a potentiometer. The Gray/white wire is the wiper.

This means you should measure a steady resistance between the gray/red and brown/white wires, probably a few thousand KOhm. At one end of the throttle travel you should read near zero ohms between the gray/white wire and one of the other two wires. Near zero being relative to a scale of a few thousand KOHm. The OTHER, other wire should read near the same between it and the gray/white wire as the reading between those two other wires (gray/red and brown/white.

At the other end of the throttle travel the same should be true but in reverse, that which other wire reads near 0 ohms and which reads near full KOhms should reverse.

Once you have established this, pick the gray/white wire and whichever of the other two reads near 0 ohms at no throttle. Slowly rotate the throttle and watch the resistance reading climb. It should continue to climb slowly with no dropouts, no loss of a resistance reading.

One thing that makes me question all of the above is that I had a vague recollection that there was supposedly two potentiometers moved in parallel and that the ECM compared the values between the two to be sure that one wasn't readily wrongly, but I see no indication of that on my diagram. Then again, if I picked that info up off the internet or from a well meaning but misinformed person, it could be incorrect information.

Back