• Register Today It's free!

Transmission stalling

Richard L'Ecuyer

Reaction score
City, State
Elk Grove, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Has anyone had a problem with the transmission stalling on the 2014 Explorer. Had it in the dealer numerous times, and as expected, no problem found. Had the issue upgraded to corporate, and they had us with an electronic monitor for a couple of days, but nothing again. Issue still continues to this day with on.ly 22k miles on it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to learn of your problem. Can you be more specific about how the transmission 'stalls'?

Usually when starting from a stop, it seems to stall between 1st and 2nd, and sometimes between 2nd and 3rd. Although couple of weeks ago, wife backed out of the driveway, and it put it in drive and it stalled there. Been going on for over 2 years and no resolution.

Usually when starting from a stop, it seems to stall between 1st and 2nd, and sometimes between 2nd and 3rd. Although couple of weeks ago, wife backed out of the driveway, and it put it in drive and it stalled there. Been going on for over 2 years and no resolution.
Did it eventually go into 'Drive' after backing up? Also when you say it "stalls" between gears, does it eventually shift? If so it seems to be more of a hesitation/slow shift rather than a "stall".
I don't believe a transmission can actually "stall".

Peter

There's a lot of different known issues with Ford transmissions and TSBs for them across all Ford vehicles - anything from slow/delayed shifts to harsh/fast shifts and all kinds of other stuff.

Some involve reprogramming. Some involve replacing solenoid/valve body/TC/other parts. Some both programming and parts. Some also end up requiring replacement of entire transmission (Dealers don't typically do rebuilds).

Have you taken it to a reputable, local trans shop to see if they are able to diagnose a specific problem? Some may offer free diagnosis and some may charge.

I think I'm having the same symptoms. It's definately the transmission programming since it doesn't do it in sand mode. I've tried turning off traction control and trailer sway control and I think it's better but still has some hesitation when trying to accelerate. It's almost dangerous when trying to get across traffic.

I have a 2017 XLT, with the 2.3L ecoboost, and have had similar issues..mine seems so have slow engagement when going from park to reverse, and then reverse to drive, then it seems to hit 1st, 2nd, and 3rd a little hard, but once the tranny is warmed up I don't have the same problems, but I do notice that it is still slow or doesn't have the initial power when you step on the gas after the shift. I haven't tried changing the modes, i'll have to give that a try. But I am planning on calling the dealer on Monday to get mine looked at, since it only has 3100 miles on it and has been doing it since little after I got it.

Back