• Register Today It's free!

4x4 to 4x2 conversion.

iamiancamp

Reaction score
City, State
Highland, MI.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 sport 4x4 4.0 ohv
I am converting my 97 Explorer sport to 4x2, i dont have the cash for a new front axle! can I just put rwd spindles, rotors, and abs sensors on it and call it a day. If so where can I find the spindles and from what year do they match with? Thamks for the info in advance. I have looked for the spindles and cant find them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the "spindles" .. try www.car-part.com. Enter your year and explorer.. se;ect steering knuckle. Listed seperately as left and right.
Rotors I believe are the same, really don't know about the ABS sensors as I have an AWD and haven't worked on a 2WD truck.

You could also use that link to check out the junkyards in your area for a new front diff. Installation is easy. If you can change a CV axle, you can change your differential.
Search for "carrier" you might be pleasently surprised to find that replacing the front diff is cheaper than converting to 2wd.

your turning your 4x4 into 4x2???

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the modified 95-01 section. Check the list of vendors on this site for parts. One list is in the vendors section, and the other is on the bottom of the main forum page.

You'll need the knuckles, ABS sensors, rotors (different than a 4x4). The shocks from your 4x4 will work on a 2wd (but not the other way around).

But for the cost of all the 2wd parts, you could probably find a replacement front axle in a salvage yard...

you could also take the axle ends apart from the cv shafts and leave them through the spindle to keep the bearing together. then just toss your front diff.

What is wrong with front axle that you can't replace? Need to identify that before you can just gut that one and operste as a 2WD truck

you would also need the trans tail section with shaft from a 2WD truck with the same trans. and the driveshaft

I did this to my 97 4x4 as I do a lot of motorway driving and wanted to improve the MPG.

All I did was remove front diff, propshaft and take an angle grinder to the CV joints on the outer joints of my drive shafts.

using a cutting disk on the ball cages you can easily disect them leaving the outer section intact (you need this to keep the hub bearings together.

It drives and handles fine and of course when I want it bak to 4x4 it's only 1 1/2 hours to change back having replaced the drive shafts

jim

you would also need the trans tail section with shaft from a 2WD truck with the same trans. and the driveshaft

Not unless he's also pulling the transfer case out too... But the driveshaft is the same either way.

But once the front driveshaft is out, there's no need to pull the t-case...

I guess that's true, but why not pull all the useless parts out and save weight and sell them?

heres what you do

find someone with 4x2 who wants 4x4... then you trade with them problem solved

I have a 2000 F 150 4 X4 I want to convert into a 4 x 2 and then lower it a little to make it more like the Lightning. You guys make it sound like a simple process but if it's not I think I'll just have to stick with having a four-wheel drive version of the lightning because I already have the motor and transmission. I just need to find out what else I need to do... everything I need to do.

I have a 2000 F 150 4 X4 I want to convert into a 4 x 2 and then lower it a little to make it more like the Lightning. You guys make it sound like a simple process but if it's not I think I'll just have to stick with having a four-wheel drive version of the lightning because I already have the motor and transmission. I just need to find out what else I need to do... everything I need to do.
Welcome. Nice idea, but why not keep it 4WD, using the original trans output shaft etc? the extra traction would be very useful with the low end blower power.

I daydreamed of having a Blackwood and swapping the Lightning engine into that, with the 4WD. I saw a Blackwood about eight years ago for $9990 BIN on eBay, with about 95k miles on it. I'm glad I passed on that, I don't have the time or space for another project.

Back