Power train control module broken? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power train control module broken?

Tanman91

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
Backstory:
I have had a check engine light on for awhile now and only had the evap canister code on there. Knowing I have to pass emissions in December and my car randomly started having idle issues, I took it to the guy who normally does the work on my car. He told me not only was it the evap canister, but also all O2 sensors and the EGR valve on there, which is strange because he had replaced those just under a year ago and I have the paperwork to prove it. So we tried clearing the codes and I drove around a little bit to see if it came back. I took my car to another shop(This shop specializes in European cars but is owned by a family friend) to get a second opinion on it, after 2 days of troubleshooting they told me that my power train control module is corrupted and not sending the correct signals to the O2 sensors which is also causing the idle issue. Sorry for the long story just want to make sure all the info is in there.

Questions:
Could the shop be right about the power train control module? Could all these problems be connected to the power train control module being corrupted? Should I spend the $1200 to get a new one and then pay to have Ford program it correctly or Can I get a remanufactured one and have a 3rd party program it to save money? I just have never heard of a power train control module being corrupted.

Thanks in advance for your time.
2008 Eddie Bauer 4.0 4X4

I would pay Ford dealer for an hour of diagnostic to check what the issue really is. If you order PCM from them based on some shop recommendation, it's yours no matter what.

I appreciate the suggestion but before that I had already pulled the trigger on the the new PCM. It seemed to clear up all the issues and no more check engine light( I have driven it about 60 miles so far). I am going to hurry up and go through emissions while everything is clear. Now time to figure out the transmission problem...

Back