2008 V8 - Retrofit Tow Package? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 V8 - Retrofit Tow Package?

I currently have a 2006 Mountaineer V8 with the tow package, and it's served me well towing my 4200lbs ski boat. I'm looking at a 2008 Mountaineer with a V8, but it doesn't have the tow package. From what I've been able to research, there aren't any drive train differences for the V8s between the non-tow and tow packages (same gearing, transmission, springs, etc). What would be needed to have the towing capacity increased to the factory tow package figures? I know the 06-10 have a welded hitch, so I'd need to either cut off the existing hitch and have a class III IV welded on or add the bolt on version (which in my opinion) looks silly under the class II hitch. What else would be needed to retrofit?

For '06-'10, the 53G HD Towing Package provided:
1. Upgrade from 4-flat wire connector, to the 4/7-pin combo connector. You may not need this for your boat trailer.
2. Upgrade from welded Class II 1¼" receiver, to welded Class III/IV 2" receiver. You are stuck at 3500 lbs max without this upgrade (or the bolt-on underneath).
3. Transmission Oil-to-Air Cooler: On Ford Towing Guide, the Standard column has "X" indicating it has a cooler. 53G column shows "Std". Not sure why the different indicators. It could mean the 53G uses the same "Std" cooler as the base vehicle. Or it could indicate it's actually something different. I would physically compare your '06 to the '08 to see if there is a larger inline cooler installed on the '06.
4. V6-only: Change from 3.55 to 3.73 axle ratios to protect the 5-speed drivetrain at low-speed, high-load. Not needed (nor available) for the V8/6-speed, with it's super-low 1st gear.

My gut says that the welded receiver in the Class II vehicle is every bit as strong as the Class III/IV, since it's an integral part of the truck's frame, and partly responsible for the increase in frame rigidity for the 4th gen vehicles. Again, get a look under each truck, and see if you can see any differences (other than the size of the square opening. I say this hesitantly, but for a boat trailer that has it's own surge brakes (I assume), and a TW less than 500 lbs (no WDH needed), I would be tempted to tow your 4200 lbs with no changes, as long as you can confirm the trans cooling question.

That's great news! Thanks for the info. My boat trailer has surge brakes and has the 7-pin connector, as it uses the reverse light power to release the brakes when backing up. I will compare the trans coolers and see if there are any differences. Any suggested wiring kits to add the 7-pin to the 4-flat set up?

Check etrailer.com for wiring conversion kits. A simple adaptor can put the 4-wires thru a 7-pin connector. They have another kit that I've used for running brake and 12V lines front to rear, and combining with the 4-flat into a 7-pin.

But you only need the 4-flat, plus reverse wire. You might want to call etrailer customer service, and ask them for the best option. I'm guessing you can plug the 4-flat into a 7-pin connector, then just run the single reverse line separately to that center pin.

Back