Colorado Color Run 09/2018 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado Color Run 09/2018

What dates in Sept Do you all want? Let us know what weeks you would like for the gathering.

• 09/08 - 09/15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 09/22 - 09/29

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WormsExplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Durango
OK I will start a thread here and see what kind of response I will get. @gmanpaint did a get together this year and would like another one here in Colorado again. I can research camping area's cost and trails and inform all about it. The Plan is to do trails around the Ouray, CO area. I will get links to trails up as soon as I am able to. @96EXXLTinCO would you be able to help out also with this?

Hope to hear from you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I made this a sticky thread. I'm going to do my best to make it back to CO next year.

I hope to make it as well. With any luck I'll be able to bring the camper.

Thanks for doing this! :)

CCR has mostly been held out of Ouray for it's central location. The town is geared for people like us, wanting to visit, and enjoy what they live with on a daily basis. KOA camping/lodging, shops, restaurants, and prestigious trail heads within 30 mins in every direction, it makes for a great gathering place for a group run. The San Juan Mtn range is like no other IMO. I have been itching to get back here for a long long time.

All the time & $$ spent to get there, will be rewarded, by experiencing these majestic landscapes, in the company of friends. A lifetime of memories will be made, and for most, one trip here, is never enough.

Hit the trails at 8-9 am, head back to town around 5-6pm, eat, sleep, repeat. Doesn't get any better than that!

For trail idea's, read some of the past CCR threads here. Can't really go wrong with any of those. :)

Thanks for doing this! :)

CCR has always been held out of Ouray for it's central location. The town is geared for people like us, wanting to visit, and enjoy what they live with on a daily basis. KOA camping/lodging, shops, restaurants, and prestigious trail heads within 30 mins in every direction, it makes for a great gathering place for a group run. The San Juan Mtn range is like no other IMO. I have been itching to get back here for a long long time.

All the time & $$ spent to get there, will be rewarded, by experiencing these majestic landscapes, in the company of friends. A lifetime of memories will be made, and for most, one trip here, is never enough.

Hit the trails at 8-9 am, head back to town around 5-6pm, eat, sleep, repeat. Doesn't get any better than that!

For trail idea's, read some of the past CCR threads here. Can't really go wrong with any of those. :)

Sorry for asking but what is CCR?

Attachments

• offroading-san-juan-mountains.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 345

Do you have any dates yet?

Not quit yet. I was hoping for some suggestions. One was for Labor day but then there was after Labor day so we do not have to deal with The Traffic. SO What about 09/08/2018 to 09/15/2018? I am open for any weeks. Planning now I will be able to work with my work to get any dates off.

Ok Changed to a poll for the Dates for the Gathering. :) Bare with me all first time doing something like this Any Dates in September will work with me. Just want to know what you all would like to do. :)

Labor day is the 3rd & Jeep Jamboree is Sept 13-15. Both of these weeks will be jammed packed. I think the week of the 15th-22 would be less crowded. The FJ Summit is in July so we are safe from that massive gathering. LOL Telluride has the month long Movie festival, and weekend events in all of Sept. Blues & Brews is a big one, that is the 14-16th. Black Bear will be crowded on those days.

I will keep searching for other large events that might be planned out.

Is this a week long event or ? I will have to watch and see. but would be great time.
Tim

I think once we get more people going, we can make the official date for a specific weekend, and people can choose when to arrive ahead of time.

This is a big trip for most, and a week's time is worthy. I plan on being there for 5-6 days.

Still suggesting labor day weekend.

2 weeks after will be risking a lot of snow and bad weather on the passes. Flatlanders might have issues getting back east.

If labor day is packed, we can be the ones doing the packing. :)

KOA takes reservations.

I'll keep my eye on this but in recent years Labor Day hasn't been good for me, I'm usually in a different part of the country.

Traditionally CCR has been held in 4 locations: Ouray, Salida, Leadville and Silverthorne. All 4 locations have great camping/hotels and great trails, probably the best Colorado has to offer mountain and scenery-wise. It has always been on Labor Day weekend however the fall colors have never been present that early. Weather has usually been good and surprisingly the trails are not as crowded as you would think for a holiday weekend.

If the whole group wants to be mobile and camp, The Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route takes 5-6 days and highlights some of the best trails and country in each area plus you get to see all of Colorado. Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route (COBDR) I did half of this back in early October and the colors were awesome and the weather was fair for most of it (and also the reason we only did half of it).

I do agree however that the Ouray area is the best choice. If anyone is burnt out on Ouray trails (is that possible?) and is on the fence about coming because of that, some of my favorite country to just go explore is a half day or less away in the far Southwestern corner of Colorado. Many options for stock to modified in the Ouray area.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have wanted to do the COBDR route for some time now. I might have to figure that one for 2019. :) I have looked at the pictures and WOW just beautiful, I love living here in Colorado with all the WONDERFUL trails around here.

Back