• Register Today It's free!

Irregular idle and stalling

Ashley31

Reaction score
City, State
England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4.0 SOHC Explorer
Hi very recently my 97 explorer 4.0l it will start first time, then idling up an down until it’s warm but then after turning it off it just won’t start it keeps turning and turning and it stinks of fuel, plugged into a obd reader and it showing the temp coolant at 286degrees!!!! Surely this isn’t right haha, so I figured maybe faulty ECT sensor (worth noting as well the gauge in the car barely moves reads way below cold then when it’s warm moves into just above cold which I figured it’s working it’s just out, anyone else as anything similar and did you fix a cheaper fix

Thanks

Sounds like the thermostat has failed open and the sensor has failed. Also check for intake manifold leaks.

I have similar issue. If you start and just drive on a motorway it will be fine after awhile. But if you start up and drive a short distance and shut off, when you restart it will idle poorly and cut out. Very annoying. Can't drive it now in traffic.
Changed the IAC, maf, egr, cleaned the pcv valve. Not sure what else really

Sounds like your inlet manifold O rings are leaking. On a long run the manifold expands and seals the air leak.

Back