• Register Today It's free!

Wheel/rim question

smalltownusa

Reaction score
City, State
Western Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT 4WD
Almost ready to get my new tires. Just a little more cleaning up, and track down a Sheriff to get a permit so I can move a vehicle with an expired inspection sticker. I've decided on 255/70/16 . My 2005 Sports Trac is all stock. My state (Maine) will not allow me to go over 2" in diameter bigger or smaller than the original tires on the vehicle. As I calculate it the 235 are 28.95" in diameter and the 255 are 30.055 so they will just get in under the 2"

Am I correct that these tires will fit my stock rims ?

P.S. I would like to replace the spare steel wheel (rusted pretty bad). Going to visit my local salvage yard is there anything special I should ask for when going for another wheel ? All I know is it takes five lug nuts. I don't know squat about rims.

Just found a site another member had linked to but they ask what is my off set ? Can I assume 7" rims
Custom wheels, rim tire packages

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sawhawaii my stock tire is the 235/70/16 Checking my VIN I have the 3.73 gearing
That link above that I added at least would give me an example of what I might expect.
I did visit the dealer today, and asked how big of a tire could I install and still pass inspection. They told me 2 sizes larger, but the on line information states 2" larger or smaller.

Just found from another site that rims size is 7" and off set is 12 (greek to me) plugged that info in and if my speedometer reads 60MPH I will actually be going 62.3 MPH. Other that that they would seem to be ok. I don't think/hope they will affect the performance much ?

Taller tire will make the gearing higher. 3.8% diameter difference isn't much, but you will lose a little bottom end grunt.

Will that bottom end grunt be noticeable only off road or on road. rarely do I go off of the pavement.

Never used a 1.1" taller tire, but doubt most would even notice an acceleration loss for street driving. BTW, I'm lowered. LOL

Just found another site with a calculator. If my tire size diameters are correct going from a 235/70/16 (29.95" dia.) to a 255/70/16 (30.055 dia.) my current gear ratio of 3.73 would effectively be 3.53286 Numbers that don't make much impact on my brain.

Your lowered Does that mean that you have installed larger tires?

Anyway I sounds like I'll be ok. Just wanted to double check before I lay down the money.

I'll add that link in case anybody else has the same question in the future.
Calulators from www.4Lo.com

You should be fine. If in doubt, ask the shop selling you the tires. Most shops around here won't install anything but stock tire sizes for unknown reasons. If they do it, a waiver is usually required. Lowered means modified and lower to the ground. Taller tires don't look right on lowered vehicles, in fact it looks really dorky. ; )

swshawaii just wanted to report back that I finally got my new 255/70/16 tires mounted. I was quite surprised that I don't feel the difference from the old 235 tires. So I am a happy camper. Between the new shocks and other suspension parts it drives like a new Sport Trac. I did have a couple of items that need to be addressed before I can pass my state inspection. The rear shackles are rusting through, and just my luck an ABS problem cropped up on my front passenger wheel. I was informed that I would need a new hub assembly as the ABS has something integral with the hub. I am getting there. Overall very happy.

The speedometers in these trucks are most accurate with a 30" tire. The stock 15's were all 29" and the first 16's were that 255/70/16, a 30" tire. The 29" tires have you driving slower than indicated, which is better than if it was the other way and let you get a ticket. I typically use a 29-30" tire, depending on which vehicle, lowered, work, or handling, and what tires are available in similar sizes.

I just went again to a 245/70 tire for my work truck. The 29.5" size is good and the Cooper AT3 tires was on sale and rated well. I liked the Michelin 255/65/16's I had, but they wore out too fast, about 23k miles in 11 months.

The front ABS sensor for AWD/4WD Explorers basically never fails unless the hub does, being inside it. Hunt the Moog front hubs, they had Timken bearings the last time I bought hubs, and were about $70 each.

The tires weight will have an effect in performance as well. My 31s had a very noticeable impact on performance.

Ditto, a tire can add ten pounds per corner easily. Check out some off road tires, often there are two or three versions of the same tire. The high load "10" ply version will weigh a good 10lbs more than the few ply version.

The OP is looking at stockish tire sizes, which won't alter tire weight in any great amount. A high load off road tire would be a big deal though.

Very happy with what little driving I have done with the new tires, and still a little repair work yet to be completed.

I will say that it's hard for me to isolate just exactly how much the new tires add to the way the Sport Trac drives now.
While it was off the road I replaced the shocks, sway bar bushings, sway bar end links not to mention rebuilding all the brake calipers, and new pads and rotors.
So I am feeling the impact of everything all at once, but one thing I am sure of It feels like a new vehicle.

Well done, that's a good feeling to drive your vehicle knowing it has a lot of important things in top condition. Enjoy it for a long time.

In case any body was wondering about the new ties they are a tire I have never heard of before.
I had very poor mileage life on what was supposed to be a quality tire on my wife's Ford 500 with Michelin defenders.
So I took a chance. They are Wild Trail touring CUV tires made in Thailand by a company that has been around for a while.

My local Town Fair tire had these, and told me they would last 20,000 miles if I didn't do anything and 50,000 miles if I took good care: rotating etc.
Yes I did ask for some sort of documentation, and it's right on my sales invoice.
With the Michelin tires I was required to chase Michelin for any adjustment, but with these Wild Trail tires Town fair tire is supposed to take care of any issues.
Will see !

Back