Since the Modified Forum seems dead, I'll ask here. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Since the Modified Forum seems dead, I'll ask here.

geosnooker2000

Reaction score
City, State
Somerville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
I asked over on the Modified Forum, but haven't received any feedback, nor has there been any activity over there since I posted it. So I'll ask here.
As I said in my other thread here, I am looking to buy a 4th gen EB V8 4wd (2010 if I can get it), and I have found several that are perfect except I really wanted to get one with the nav/infotainment center. If I buy one that just has the 6CD changer radio, how harry of a deal is it to rewire/install the infotainment radio? Is it a different wiring harness? Is it even possible?

Thanks,
George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The one I put in my 06 was plug and play. I wired the back up camera before that so I just plugged the video cable.

Aftermarket GPS Radio installation

Thank you so much for the reply! But am I correct in assuming that you installed that Nav radio into an explorer that already HAD a Nav radio to begin with?

Yes, mine had the NAV unit in it, but I could have installed it on my son's 07 that had just radio unit. The plugs are the same, you would need to just but extra GPS antenna for few bucks and it would work. I assume the wiring on the 10 would be the same.
I actually moved my 06 NAV unit into the 07 and just plugged it in and it works like it has always been there plus the antenna.

I changed my '10 Explorer sport trac from a 6 disc to a factory nav unit (same dash and centerstack as '10 Explorer). As I recall (its been a few years), I had to change the wiring in the steering wheel clockspring, change the steering wheel buttons, rewire the sync unit in the console, add a amplifier, and get a splitter for the sat radio antenna (it doubles as a nav antenna). Took several hours and calls to the vendor of the kit to get it installed. The headunit failed after a few months (out of warranty), so I pulled the entire system and installed a nice Kenwood system with steering wheel interface.

I've heard that changing from 1 factory unit to another factory setup (like you are talking about...non-NAV to with-NAV..etc) is a pain. Ford support won't know what they are talking about, but happy to sell you stuff.

Much better to check out the aftermarket, as they will have tried all the combinations and permutations. Go to the site, plug in what you have, and they tell you what you need to do that vudu that you do.

Back