Mixing of Gear Oil with Coolant in my 2010 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mixing of Gear Oil with Coolant in my 2010 Explorer

Mujtaba Junaidy

Reaction score
City, State
Riyadh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010, Ford Explorer
Dears,
Recently, i have found out that the transmission/gear oil was mixing with the coolant in my 2010-epxplrer. I noticed this when i found one of the small coolant pipe was burst & water was draining off. I got the pipe fixed, replaced the "gear oil coolant" part. That part was taken from another old radiator & it was found OK. After that mechanic did complete cleaning & service of my radiator & its related pipes. I also changed Gear Oil, filter & gasket the next day. Everything seems fine that day.

After 2 days, i am again seeing gear oil in radiator? I revisited mechanic & he is saying there is some residual in small pipes which is impossible to clean so you should drive for few days & come for another cleaning of radiator. Does it make sense? I am afraid if Transmission system can be affected if I continue to drive like this. Please provide your expert opinion. thanks

Rad is probably leaking. The transmission fluid runs through a cooler in the bottom of the rad. Aftermarket are dirt cheap, like 100 bucks, and can be changed in a couple hours.

Rad is probably leaking. The transmission fluid runs through a cooler in the bottom of the rad. Aftermarket are dirt cheap, like 100 bucks, and can be changed in a couple hours.
Thanks. I will do re-flush of my radiator soon to see if I can still see some traces of gear-oil.

Back