WOT - stopped accelerating after 2nd gear | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WOT - stopped accelerating after 2nd gear

Ask the service manager to put a data recorder on for a few days so you can try to duplicate it on your own.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just experienced a new problem with my 2016 ExPlat (14k miles on it) and thought I'd run it past the experts here. I rarely drive this car hard and today's event has me worried.

This morning with the engine warmed up with no traffic nearby I turned onto a long curving freeway on-ramp. As I straightened out of the turn, going about 15 mph in 2nd gear, I floored it, it downshifted to 1st gear and off we went. Not very far though.
At the point it upshifted to 2nd gear the engine sort of died and the car began slowing down, like starving for gas. I left my foot on the pedal, floored, and the car continued to slow down, the car was basically coasting. After about 5 seconds I lifted my foot from the pedal, the trans upshifted and I gently put pressure on the gas pedal at which point the car then performed normally and accelerated to the freeway speed limit. All of this happened very quickly.
There were no other symptoms and I finished my 5 mile trip home with the car acting normal but I didn't try a WOT again.
A couple months ago, under warranty, the Dealer replaced all the injectors, fuel rails and high pressure fuel pump plus the 12v battery, since all that work the car has never run better, nice and smooth. I have done a couple short rolling WOT's during that time - now this.

I haven't tried to repeat this morning's event, should I? Any thoughts about why this happened or what to do about it.
Thanks in advance.

I have this identical problem. In addition when its cold the throttle is jumpy pulling out of driveway. Bizarre. Im taking her to dealership on Wed but i can already bet they wont find a thing

PS - If the tech gives me the same explanation about this fall on face nonsense im going to lose it. Im driving 15 mph and i hammer it and during this time the rpm never hits the limiter as id be lucky to see it hit 3k tops before it trips over its own feet

I have this identical problem. In addition when its cold the throttle is jumpy pulling out of driveway. Bizarre. Im taking her to dealership on Wed but i can already bet they wont find a thing
PS - If the tech gives me the same explanation about this fall on face nonsense im going to lose it. Im driving 15 mph and i hammer it and during this time the rpm never hits the limiter as id be lucky to see it hit 3k tops before it trips over its own feet
No codes or CEL lights? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you brother! Hope they are smarter than my Dealer.

On a cold start my engine will 'hunt' or surge a little in gear at idle while backing out of the driveway. If I give it a little gas it smooths out quickly though, I consider that normal for this car. With my slower driving lately the car runs fine with local driving but I have another trip next month.

nope.. no codes or cel... thanks for your prayers ha... and thanks for putting your thoughts to words b/c i suck at it. The engine hunt surge is a perfect description of this issue. Ya know im talkin all big and bad over here so have to say im not sure im going to even push this issue bc i have more important issues i want them to resolve but thats a whole other topic and for a different post. Lets just say they have their hands full on Wednesday and are already giving me a loaner car

nope.. no codes or cel... thanks for your prayers ha... and thanks for putting your thoughts to words b/c i suck at it. The engine hunt surge is a perfect description of this issue. Ya know im talkin all big and bad over here so have to say im not sure im going to even push this issue bc i have more important issues i want them to resolve but thats a whole other topic and for a different post. Lets just say they have their hands full on Wednesday and are already giving me a loaner car
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I hope all the issues get addressed and fixed.

Peter

Got the ExPlat back, didn't get a new transmission. Getting a problem fixed that doesn't have DTC's and is not reproducible is difficult.
The Tech explains the 'falls on face' occurrence with this explanation: "During a WOT transmission upshift the computer has an engine rev-limit threshold of a maximum RPM for each gear, if by chance this RPM is exceeded the 'governor' will shutdown the fuel until the gas pedal is lifted, then resume normal operation. After testing all parameters of the transmission it passed within normal limits (WNL). Road testing did not show another occurrence and was not reproducible."
What do ya think of that clever answer? Sort of makes sense but I can't imagine Ford making/selling a car that could possibly do this in an emergency situation. I have never owned a car that did this.

This was my list for this Dealer service event. I get loan cars each time the car is in for warranty work.
1. Trans issue - not reproducible. Fail.
2. My radiator fans squeal after shutdown on a hot day, this was not reproducible in the shop, fans working as designed. Fail.
3. Driver's side folding mirror squeaks when folding - replaced. Win!
4. Passenger window stuttered when lowering, placed thin foam strip in window channel. Win, maybe...
5. APIM bezel was broken by shop personnel when they repaired my loose roof rack and the headliner was removed, replaced. Win!
6. Had Cabin air filter replaced. Wife opened grove box tonight and it fell on the floor, the side retainer string is broken. Fail! The car will go back tomorrow to get this fixed.
Edit add: showed the service manager this shoddy workmanship, they had to install a new glove box retainer strap and the entire glovebox as the plastic hinges were cracked. The service manager was really embarrassed about the bad job they did. An expensive mistake for them, and time wasted for me.
My warranty work saga continues...
Back to the Dealer today for a few additional items to be looked at. No cooling with A/C in front seatbacks, excessive wind noise on passenger side and my Platinum 'all digital dash' is flickering from low light to too bright.
The seat cooling has a TSB, the windshield cowl noise has a TSB and is obvious cause it won't stay snapped in place. My dash flickering is intermittent so I have low expectations they will find anything.
I have quite a list of warranty stuff for a car with just 20,000 miles.

My transmission 'falls flat' problem still exists but I baby the car around and don't see it much. There is next to no chance of them ever fixing it until something breaks.
Meanwhile, I am very happy I purchased an ESP Extended Warranty with 1st day rental and Rental Upgrade, I'm driving a new black Expedition rental and I must say it is a good driving vehicle, nice ride too.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I hope all the issues get addressed and fixed.

Peter

Thanks Peter... I forgot to give everyone an update. Well ofcourse the dealer didnt find anything. Fortunately it turned out the service rep was a long time family friend. So i was able to handle their response without getting aggravated. They thoroughly looked it over and ran it thru oasis ( i believe im spelling it correctly) and found no issues. However, ironically this issue has vanished since that day go figure... In my opinion i have a feeling i know what it may be. You have to be in a specific gear at a specific speed to repeat this problem. Its possible the ecu knows that the engine will hit its rev limiter when you WOT and call for a downshift at this speed and gear.. so the engine bogs down to allow the truck to reduce its speed than it finally will downshift and take off... I could be totally wrong here just my opinion. Im not saying this is normal its kind of my only explanation i have for myself. But anyhow it hasnt happened since late october and we are almost midway thru December. Shes been running great

Sort of like mine, these cars are complicated. The trouble with this is that when you might need WOT in a passing situation it may fail and put you in a dangerous situation. I've never owned any vehicle (and I've had or rented lots and lots of modern cars) that did this and I really don't like the unpredictability.

-->> In other news, the Dealer called and said that as long as my car is in the shop they are going to do the "17N03 CARBON MONOXIDE CONCERNS" repair to my car. Strangely, he said 'only the part that applies to your model year', which were the rear vent plugs and grilles, the parts will be in tomorrow. Hopefully I'll know more when he calls next time.

So, after all this time and the many warranty repairs the 2016 Explat moved us to another State to live in. Basically the WOT problem has not reared its ugly head because I drive sanely and rarely do a WOT.
Today, we were getting on a freeway on-ramp in 2nd gear and I floored it, nothing happened, or rather, the motor acted like the fuel line was shut off and the engine was coasting to a stop.
I looked over at my wife and mentioned we were slowing down with the gas pedal pushed to the floor. She asked me 'why?', I replied that 'IDK, it just does that'. Luckily traffic was light and as I'm always expecting one of this Explorer's quirks on highways (WOT engine RPM fail, entire top fuel system fail, PTU fail, steering rack fail, roof rack popping up, etc), I calmly let off the 'fly-by-wire' throttle and slowly reapplied the pedal and off we went again. Saved!

Really, this car is a good looking, nice riding and convenient sized vehicle but this type of recurring and dangerous behavior is absurd. Why do I still have it? We just moved and remodeled a house but hopefully soon we can remedy that situation.

I know, this is reviving a really old Thread but I still have this 2016 Platinum and noticed some new information here that might apply to this problem.
Some recent posts on this Forum state that a transmission might 'stall' between shifts under hard acceleration (WOT, wide open throttle), acting as though the motor has died, then would revive if the foot was lifted from the pedal. This has me wondering if the solution to why this car (truck, LOL) had a 'fall on it's face or FOIF' acceleration problem for years, then the problem disappeared at about the 50,000 mile mark - was it a transmission issue, not a 'turbo, throttle body, timing or intercooler' problem?

Since I first posted this issue on July 7, 2017, some mechanical changes and maintenance have been done to the ExPlat, and by coincidence, right now the car no longer 'falls on it's face' under WOT.
At approx 30,000 miles the PTU failed and was replaced with a new unit, at the same time I had the transmission fluid exchanged (all of it). Just lately (49,000 miles) I had the transmission and PTU fluids exchanged again (all of the fluid, not a drain/refill), the car has never run better and WOT is reliable, no surging or FOIF when the pedal is matted.

So, what do you think, could dirty/burnt transmission fluid have caused the FOIF issue way back then, maybe the fluid was out of Spec or dirty and it couldn't handle (or allow) the over pressure of a WOT event?
Does this even make sense?

TIA,
Dave

Back