Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 61 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My injector Duty Cycle seemed to peak at 77% in one of my last datalogs. Not too bad.
Was the ""last"" data since you switched heads/cams??

Mann i dont know how your not maxing those lines or pump out..thats crazy too me!! I still want to see a dyno graph to see where you're making power and how much..

Your jets will based off a set fuel pressure so keep that in mind..your duty cyle is going to go up when spraying as it will be adding more fuel also,even though its a wet kit..the kits dont require a ton of fuel but again depends on shot..i too pull fuel from my regulator for my NX kit..

Also good read on w/m thanks @Dono

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I gotta say, I'm getting concerned about the block. This could end in a spectacular way.
MAX HP From a 4.0 BLOCK [Archive] - V6Power Messageboard

Although, if anyone can do it, you can.
I'm guessing that with your amazing ability to move slowly and methodically and being so careful not to detonate (even once) you will surpass anything I can find on the 'all knowing' internet.

I gotta say, I'm getting concerned about the block. This could end in a spectacular way.
MAX HP From a 4.0 BLOCK [Archive] - V6Power Messageboard

Although, if anyone can do it, you can.
I'm guessing that with your amazing ability to move slowly and methodically and being so careful not to detonate (even once) you will surpass anything I can find on the 'all knowing' internet.
I see 17psi and 75 shot as the car that had the most and he blew a rod after a bunch of passes to which he seems to blame not cooling down..

Like i said id like to see more gap on the rings and then the rods would be my next concern. .i think the block could take more...

think i hear forged rods and pistons in future. ..

I know when you do the calculations for injector size,fuel psi,duty cyle and based on .60 BFSC it come up as your making around 470hp at crank...

Sooo yea might want to start at a 35 shot...lol

Personally id start looking for an another short block to start building...get some forged rods and pistons/open ring gap..then swap heads and spray the hell outa it..

or ditch the awd and put a built 2wd trans with sticky tires for track...gota look at the v6 Mustang guys running 10-11s with same power as you

I know building an expensive short block isn't part of the plan right now.

But what is the stock bore and bore spacing? I'd be pushing the bore to .032" less than the bore spacing(SBF's have 4.38" bore spacing and .060 over is the limit on the old blocks). What's the stroke, is there room for a 1.55:1 rod and short piston(1.25" or so). I gather parts choices are limited, but for the costs I'd only consider doing it if it gained 30+ cubic inches. I agree though that the block seems stronger than anyone has pushed the 4.0's.

I think the V6 trans is much weaker than the engine power limits, I'd take it easy on the engine combo.

Thanks Don!
The link to the 340 also has the Walbro GSS342 255 LPH pump.
That is the one I will probably go with since the 190LPH one I got from Summit has held up so well under my abuse.

I know when you do the calculations for injector size,fuel psi,duty cyle and based on .60 BFSC it come up as your making around 470hp at crank...
Sooo yea might want to start at a 35 shot...lol
Personally id start looking for an another short block to start building...get some forged rods and pistons/open ring gap..then swap heads and spray the hell outa it..
or ditch the awd and put a built 2wd trans with sticky tires for track...gota look at the v6 Mustang guys running 10-11s with same power as you

Or if you look at it this way..
It put down 310 to the wheels, add 20% = 372 and then figure it takes 75 HP to run the Supercharger and you get 447HP at crank. lol
I have been guessing 450 to round it up a little. I thought I saw something called a safe shot that came with as low as a 15 HP jet setup.
I want to start as low as possible and partly as an experiment to see the effects it has. Then increase it until I reach my low 12's or the engine gives up.
If the trans goes out I will just rebuild. I will never ditch the automatic 4WD.

And yes, those Mustangs owners are lucky they are much lighter than my truck.

I know building an expensive short block isn't part of the plan right now.

But what is the stock bore and bore spacing? I'd be pushing the bore to .032" less than the bore spacing(SBF's have 4.38" bore spacing and .060 over is the limit on the old blocks). What's the stroke, is there room for a 1.55:1 rod and short piston(1.25" or so). I gather parts choices are limited, but for the costs I'd only consider doing it if it gained 30+ cubic inches. I agree though that the block seems stronger than anyone has pushed the 4.0's.

I think the V6 trans is much weaker than the engine power limits, I'd take it easy on the engine combo.

The 4.0 SOHC can not be bored 60 over, the block is too thin. Someone in Australia had a block sonic tested.

Or if you look at it this way..
It put down 310 to the wheels, add 20% = 372 and then figure it takes 75 HP to run the Supercharger and you get 447HP at crank. lol
I have been guessing 450 to round it up a little. I thought I saw something called a safe shot that came with as low as a 15 HP jet setup.
I want to start as low as possible and partly as an experiment to see the effects it has. Then increase it until I reach my low 12's or the engine gives up.
If the trans goes out I will just rebuild. I will never ditch the automatic 4WD.

And yes, those Mustangs owners are lucky they are much lighter than my truck.
Only reason i suggest getting ride of 4wd is the power gain,weight loss and if you went to a stall you would gain even more time..

I think you're at the point where the truck isn't going to go much faster without major changes..ditching 4wd may get you there with SMALL shot..i dont think your going to be able to spray a big enough shot alone to get you were you want without changing the short block..

But if anyone can,it will be you..you've done incredible things with it already and im in for results either way..lol

Dont know how close this is butttt
V6 Mustang 3500
V6 explorer sport 4x4 3800
Be very close in 2wd

The 4.0 SOHC can not be bored 60 over, the block is too thin. Someone in Australia had a block sonic tested.
We have been through this in a thread already. .it cant be done..the OHV can but only a 90tm block,which i have and running a 4" bore on currently

You are lucky, I wish there was one 4.0L SOHC block that could be bored to 4 inches.

You can sleeve all of the cylinders and do it, but it used to be $60-80 per cylinder years ago. I think there's a lot more to gain with changing the rods, pistons, and crank, if a stroker crank was made. The 302 deck height is 8.2", and that's short. You can run a 3.4" stroke easily, and some have pushed it to 3.5" but the pistons were really too short.

See what the 4.0 deck height it, and then what would it take to get a crank that's near 3.25" to 3.4" or so. If a crank can be had, then you can find a rod and piston to work with it, depending on what bore you're dealing with. A 4.0" piston can be had in tons of heights, stock being around 1.6" and stroker pistons near 1.2" or so. The crank would be the tough part, if there is one. A custom crank is way too much, so you need a better way.

You are lucky, I wish there was one 4.0L SOHC block that could be bored to 4 inches.
Honestly i wish i kept it stock bore..

just a fyi i couldnt find any off the shelf piston in any bore that would work nor could i find a forged rod...there was always something off..both mine are custom. .

Honestly i wish i kept it stock bore..

just a fyi i couldnt find any off the shelf piston in any bore that would work nor could i find a forged rod...there was always something off..both mine are custom. .
That's the rub, there are tons of aftermarket parts, but it takes a specific combination of components to work in a certain engine etc. It sounds like the needed parts don't exist, so altering the bore or stroke is too costly.

The Summit website is helpful to research some parts like the pistons and rods. I don't know how a person would check out crank choices, each engine has a short list of options for those.

Nitrous Now
Not building an engine now.

for my own selfish reasons, I'd love to see what effect that 'safe shot' would have on iat's.
Probably not what your after, as far as I can tell. Its a very small dry shot. It would be super easy to tune (Or maybe it wouldn't even be needed). Only thing is, to upgrade it to a wet kit looks expensive.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress.

If all goes well I will have ordered a nitrous kit by tomorrow night.
I will still be looking at accessories like bottle heaters and gauges.

Once I get the kit and look at the jets I may order some smaller ones.

If all goes well I will have ordered a nitrous kit by tomorrow night.
I will still be looking at accessories like bottle heaters and gauges.

Once I get the kit and look at the jets I may order some smaller ones.
Which kit??

Which kit??

I got the Nitrous Outlet Kit for the GT500 with 10lb bottle, I liked where the nitrous lines attach to the plate better.
I got it off eBay, it is a "used system" that was supposedly installed on a show car but never had nitrous in the bottle.
$550.00 shipped.
New kits with 10lb bottle are $800.00

I got the Nitrous Outlet Kit for the GT500 with 10lb bottle, I liked where the nitrous lines attach to the plate better.
I got it off eBay, it is a "used system" that was supposedly installed on a show car but never had nitrous in the bottle.
$550.00 shipped.
New kits with 10lb bottle are $800.00
NICE!!

Back